DDR400 Memory

pishnaris

Registered
As I prepare myself for the monetary shock of buying a new Dual G5, I realize that the 512MB of RAM that comes with the machine is inadequate. The prices Apple offers for RAM upgrades are not even in the realm of the possible.

Does anyone know of the best source for DDR400 PC3200 1GB modules? I figure that 2GB is minimum for the machine.

Thoughts and pointers appreciated.

Thanks,

Pish

Here's one SOURCE Still much, much cheaper to add 1 pair of 512MB - to get 1 GB, than to purchase 1GB sticks. You've got 8 slots available. You can add 2 GB with 4x512 MB for less than $500 - maybe close to $350. If you use 1GB pairs, 2GB will be closer to $1,000.
I read in the developer specs that the logic board design will likely accept up to 4 GB per slot (when that's actually sold)
There's no software that will utilize more than 2 GB yet anyway.
If you really examine what Apple charges for add-in memory, it's only about 10% above average prices (for memory Apple says will work, better than some suppliers will do.) Sure, Apple charges somewhat more, but at least you know what you're getting.

It makes sense to go with the 512's. The price of 1GB and larger DDR memory will undoubtedly come down in the next year or so. I've got 2 GB in this old Dual G4 450, and it seems I can run as many apps as I want, with no slow-down. I'd like at least the same in the G5.

Thanks for the sanity check.

Pish

Back