Dead pixels.

gigapet

Registered
Hi all, how common is this whole 'dead pixel' thing at the moment? I've just had my powerbook nicked and apparently over here in the UK there's a 2-3 week wait for them but I've managed to find one at Selfridges. My only concern is that the last two Apple computers I've owned both had screen issues. Dead pixels on the iMac and blobs on the powerbook have made me want to see the thing running first but apparently they can't open the machine anywhere other than an Apple shop thing.
Any ideas?

apple care to make them replace/fix it if it's got any, or ends up with any.
the 60 or 90 days of coverage that you get with your purchase should cover you at the time of opening, and then if you're still weary of it happening in the future, just purchase appleare before the 90 days is up.
with displays integrated into nearly all their machines these days, seems like applecare is a small price to pay to have your display replaced anytime in the following 3 years.

I've got a couple bright spots (blobs) in my 17" pb screen. I'll just ship it off to apple prior to my applecare running out and get a new screen.

good luck. hope it works out for you

Sadly, one or two dead pixels are _not_ taken care of by Apple's warranty, nor Apple Care. Just make sure you see the display before buying the device. Check it out at the store.

I had two "dead" pixels on my TiBook but the Apple Care was up by then. I did some surfing and came accross a thread about possible causes. Then, I tried something on the display that was suggested on the Your Mac Life internet radio show. I started by gently massaging on the dead pixels. I did this for about two minutes. Then low and behold when I turned the Tibook back on the pixels were working again. I figure I was just very lucky.

Satcomer said:
I had two "dead" pixels on my TiBook but the Apple Care was up by then. I did some surfing and came accross a thread about possible causes. Then, I tried something on the display that was suggested on the Your Mac Life internet radio show. I started by gently massaging on the dead pixels. I did this for about two minutes. Then low and behold when I turned the Tibook back on the pixels were working again. I figure I was just very lucky.

I also have two dead pixels on my iMac G4, bright ones, but they're not that noticable and I don't really care. I also have one pink pixel in the menubar on the right, but the iMac came with this. Unless you're looking for it I can't even notice it.

As for other problems, AppleCare is your best bet.

Back