Default date

Rayj

Registered
Alright, so, I own a polycarbonate unibody 13 inch macbook and its battery is utter shit. I'm cool with that. What I'm uncool with is the fact that when it decides to crash, it resets the date to 2001, then Keychain Manager refuses to cooperate and hand me my wifi password so automatic date correction can't take place. So I have to manually change to sometime in 2011, reboot my computer so keychain manager figures its stuff out, turn automatic dating back on, rinse, repeat.
Alright?
Awesome. My question is, is there a way to change that 'default to' date to, say, 2011, so that when it crashes, keychain manager stops blowing the heck up?

The default date & time (that you get on a full reset) is part of the firmware on your Macbook. There's no way to change it - and even if there is a method, a hard reset would simply remove whatever change you might make to that.
But, you have a tiny, internal battery which will _usually_ keep the time and date - for example, when you temporarily remove the main battery.
Is your MacBook one that allows easy removal of the battery (by turning the "coin slot" on the bottom of your MacBook), or is it one of the newer ones that requires removing the entire bottom cover to get at the battery? The older ones have a battery charge indicator on the battery itself, the newer ones are on the left edge of the MacBook case.

Even if you replace your battery with a new one, that won't fix your crashing issue, and the resets would likely continue, because your crashing may not be related to the battery itself.Do you have any idea what causes your crashes? Is it specific software?
If you could stop (or control) the crashes, that would likely prevent your MacBook from resetting itself.
Every time your MacBook crashes, and you then get a full reset - it's an unintended shutdown, and you always run the risk of software corruption, as well as problems in the hard drive directory or partition information.
You should also be running a hard drive repair fairly often - I would suggest doing that repair after each full reset. If that happens often (more than 2 or 3 times a month), which would be really annoying, I think - what have you done so far to find out what is causing the crashes?

Oh sorry. I forgot to explain what my battery has to do with it. At any time between 0-10 minutes left on the battery, it'll crash. (thaat's my cause right there)

Oh sorry. I forgot to explain what my battery has to do with it. At any time between 0-10 minutes left on the battery, it'll crash. (thaat's my cause right there)

But - you said you were 'cool with that' bad battery ?
So - I'm thinking that your next task is to replace the battery, then?

Which exact model of MacBook do you have?
You can get that from your System Profiler (System Information, if you have Lion) - What's the Model Identifier, under Hardware Overview.

You didn't say - have you tried a power manager reset?
Unplug from power, remove the battery, and press/hold the power button for 5 seconds or so, then reassemble.

Oh, Polycarbonate unibdoy, MacBook6,1.
And removing the battery is a non option, thanks to Apple deciding that removable batteries are no longer a thing.
As for replacing it, that costs like 150 bucks from Apple for their freaking defective battery, so I'm going to skip.
Oh, and fun fact, the polycarbonate Macbook doesn't actually have a battery indicator. On the side, on the bottom, anywhere.

Ah, OK.
To reset the System management controller (SMC):
Leave the magsafe connector plugged in.
Press left side Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once.
Note: If the LED on the MagSafe connector is orange (indicating that the battery is charging), resetting the SMC will change it to green for a few seconds, indicating that SMC was correctly reset.
Wait 5 seconds and press the power button to restart the computer.

That reset possibly can clear a power manager issue that may be preventing your battery from being used fully. And, won't hurt anything, either :D
Does your System Profiler/Power tab give you more information about the status of your battery, such as the Full Charge Capacity, and the Cycle Count?
How long do you actually get on a full charge?
Is it less than 2 hours?

@Rayj

Did the suggestions about resetting the SMC help you ?

Otherwise, if the problem persists, I've got a suggestion for solving the problem using launchd.

Back