Delete Iphoto

SGilbert

Registered
With OS 10.10.3, we now have Photos to replace iPhoto (and Aperture).
Started up Photos for a quick 'look see'. It found all my pics. Started up iPhoto to find that all pics have been migrated to Photos. All good---so far.

Went to EasyFind and searched iPhoto to delete it. WOW--over 400 files. Practically all of them cannot be deleted without 'revealing in finder' and dragging, one by one, to trash; then entering system password.

This will take hours!!!! Need a way to delete iPhoto without all the hassle. Ideas????

in a Terminal window type...
sudo rm -rf
note-there is a space after 'rm' and also after '-rf'
now drag the iPhoto app from your applications folder onto the Terminal window and press Return.
you'll be asked for a password and when you enter it nothing will show, just press Return.

Thanks, but it's a bit late for that. App, prefs, & caches are gone. Only 387 left, all quite small.
The Apple forum 'guru's' (and I say that with tongue in cheek) say to leave them as they are a part of the system.
I'm thinking BS, as they all have iPhoto in them.

Apple really should have provided an uninstaller for this. They do state that Photos is the replacement!

If you have deleted the iPhoto application from the /Applications folder, then iPhoto is 100% uninstalled from your system.

The smaller files you speak of are preference and settings files, and take up negligible space on your drive. It's perfectly safe to leave them be and never speak of them again. I understand that we more thorough types may want the feel-good feelings of having everything that was ever associated with iPhoto absolutely wiped from our hard drives, but it's a wholly unnecessary and time-consuming endeavor to seek them out and delete the many dozens or hundreds of tiny files left behind that take up virtually no space on our hard drives.

Give AppCleaner a try, as it may help automate the process of locating and removing these negligible files throughout your system:

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

With OS 10.10.3, we now have Photos to replace iPhoto (and Aperture).
Started up Photos for a quick 'look see'. It found all my pics. Started up iPhoto to find that all pics have been migrated to Photos. All good---so far.

Went to EasyFind and searched iPhoto to delete it. WOW--over 400 files. Practically all of them cannot be deleted without 'revealing in finder' and dragging, one by one, to trash; then entering system password.

This will take hours!!!! Need a way to delete iPhoto without all the hassle. Ideas????
This is the main reason I prefer to use "FindAnyFile" over EasyFind, it has a bulk delete feature which is real handy.

I have a different issue with the new app. The first time I opened it, it ground away for a while converting my iPhoto library. Then I plugged in my camera, it appeared in the Photos sidebar and showed thumbnails for the new files. I told it to download the new ones and it promptly gave me an error for each, with some vague message about possibly invalid contents.

Luckily I use DropBox and it had copied my new photos already. I dragged them from there and dropped them on Photos, which imported them with no problems.

I do not look forward to these inefficient extra steps. Can anyone think of a reason for this behavior?

Here's the alert from Photos. The full message is ...

The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9912.)

unreadable.jpg

I installed 10.10.3 over the weekend. Nope - problem persists. My camera is a Kodak P850 digital, vintage of late 2005, and I have been using it with iPhoto for almost 10 years with no problems.

I removed the memory card from the camera and put it in my USB card reader device. Photos imported the photos!! It won't import from the camera connected by USB, but will from the card.

Last edited:
I haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet. Does it still use the program "Image Capture" as an intermediary between the camera connection and the photo program?

If so, is it recognising the camera when connected and still trying to send it to iPhoto? And treating the SD card as a new connection and recognising it as a different source and sending the photos to the new app?

I say this because there was one occasion when Image Capture got confused and would not recognise my camera.

Back