Deleting files after software updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmendoza

Registered
Hello,

Apologies if this is a trivial question, I just made the switch from Windows to Mac and I am still learning the basics.

After installing Tiger, I connected my machine and started downloading Software Updates. After the first couple of them, I came accross the installation files and was able to remove them. But I haven't been able to do that for the others. How can I know if the files are gone or if they are using up valuable space on my hard disk!

Thanks

Exactly what are you deleting and where? Software Update should delete disposable files automatically. I have never seen an instance where this did not happen--at least none where the disposable file was not moved to the Trash, at very least.

Only one instance occurs to me the iPod updater that piles up in applications>utilities>iPod Software Updater.localized folder that is with Panther does Tiger get rid of the older ones ?

MisterMe said:
Exactly what are you deleting and where? Software Update should delete disposable files automatically. I have never seen an instance where this did not happen--at least none where the disposable file was not moved to the Trash, at very least.

Wel... I don't know exactly what I wan to get rid of... the first couple of installs I did, there was something in a folder that said something along the lines of "Disposable Files" or something like that, which I sent to the trash myself. The problem is that I don't remember where this was, but I havn't been able to find any other reference to other installation files... I guess I just want to make sure that there aren't any files on my hard disk that I don't need anymore... 40+ MB for the 1.4.2 upgrade + 40+ for the Java update + 18 for the security update +... it adds up!

Thanks

If you don't know exactly what folder the items were located in, and can't remember the exact filenames of the files, then it's probably a very bad idea to go deleting those files.

For example, if the files you deleted were the installer package receipts, then you will no longer be able to repair permissions for that specific application. The "repair permissions" function requires an installation receipt in order to determine the correct permissions, and, if the receipt is gone, then it won't be able to tell what the correct file/folder permissions are.

Mac OS X does an excellent job of cleaning up after itself, and if you need more hard drive space, it would be best to examine your own documents for wasteful space hogs rather than deleting system files.

Software Update stores "Packages" after each install which are like a detailed log of the install, as well as critical file backups in case anything goes wrong. These files are *very* small ... browsing this web page probably uses up more hard drive space than the average package. Leave them there and don't worry about them. You really don't need to clean up after System Update, there's no point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back