Deleting user accounts

hollywoodred22

Registered
I want to wipe my G3 ibook to pass it along to the next lucky user, but when I go to delete users, the - (minus button) is greyed out.... any help??

hollywoodred22

Registered
I want to wipe my G3 ibook to pass it along to the next lucky user, but when I go to delete users, the - (minus button) is greyed out.... any help??

jbarley

One more, for the road!
I believe you need to click on the "Padlock" at the bottom of the users list.

jb.

jbarley

One more, for the road!
You cannot delete the account that you are logged in on.
Try creating a new account with admin rights, log in with this new account, and you should be able to delete the older accounts.

It would be much more secure to wipe - partition - reformat and reinstall the OS from the install disks.
This leaves the new owner a clean slate, and the only way you will not leave a trail of bread-crumbs behind on the hard drive.

jb.

artov

Registered
I succeeded in duplicating your situation: I created an user, and logged in using the account. Then I switched to my account, and tried to delete the new account. The minus sign was gray. Then I switched to the new account, and logged out. Then I switched back to my own account and could remove the new account.

So, is the user logged in?

fryke

Staff member
Mod
You created the thread twice in different forums, so I had to delete the one which was in the HOWTO & FAQS forum, which is *ONLY* for answers, not questions.

hollywoodred22

Registered
Thanks jbarly, you had the winning tip. Unfortunately I don't have the install discs..., so bread crumb trail it is. Sorry fryke I didn't know.., won't make that same mistake. Big Thanks!!