Dell

Okay, so Dell was second to remove the floppy drive (or third or fourth). Did you expect them to say "Today we're following Apple..." or "We're sorry but we have to remove..."? Of _course_ they're pushing this as a step towards the future. And if you say Apple is not a PC maker (as in Windows compatible), Dell might just be the first (first big one at least) to do so. Let's not care too much about Dell but concentrate on Apple. I think it's time Apple thinks about modularity on PowerMac systems. Firewire is cool, but the towers should have better internal options. What about a removable-harddrive-solution that could be shared with Xserve? (Not the solution Xserve has now, but a total FireWire800 solution...) Imagine a slot for harddrive modules that only have a Firewire800 connector. You can attach them externally, if you want, but you also can just pop them into the drive bay (that could also take other modules that connect via Firewire)... Hmm... not too bad, that idea, I think...

Modular laptop systems would come in handy too, as an option.

Want extra storage? Pop in that second HD.

Don't want an optical drive? You can always separately purchase one later.

Want a lighter laptop? Take out HD and optical drive, carry it with you and boot it up from your iPod or use it as a portable terminal (Tablets would be easier for this).

What would be a great idea, is being able to use all the separate parts of your laptop as modules: lift off the keyboard for use at home, where your *Book is on a stand or lift out the trackpad and use it as your mouse, click off the screen and position it were you like. All of this can be done with existing technology, either wirelessly or wiredly. The only question would be whether it would be profitable, i.e. what would it cost, what would it yield (if there is a market at all)?

Seeing that a lot of people use their laptops as desktop replacement, and use it literally on their desk, with an external mouse, keyboard and monitor, I think there would be a market. Costs wouldn't need to be more than 10-15% higher for a completely modular laptop, IMHO (need to do some more research for this).

Originally posted by Darkshadow
It's not like you couldn't buy one separately. They're still around.

'Sides, this doesn't effect you any unless you are actually about to buy a Dell anyway. :p

well i do buy dells...
i have 5

yep, but even if 90% of us would have two or three Dells besides our Macs, this would still be a Mac OS X centered forum (hence its name). ;)

Well, if you are using Norton Ghost to ghost an office full of PCs for an OS upgrade, a bootable floppy is pretty darn handy...

DOS plus the ghost.exe and related files fit just within the confines of a 1.44 HD floppy!

There are *some* advantages to having cheap, disposable storage...

Originally posted by mr. K
Nobody uses floppies to boot from, or install programs.... you would use them to carry little files to your friends house, to transfer your paper to another computer when your printer gets wrecked the night before its due etc... 16mb flash serves theese purposes perfectly, and i wouldnt mind a little usb drive.

email killed the floppy. You can zip and WEBmail the contents of a floppy in almost the same transfer time. I stopped using my floppy long before Apple excluded them from thier machines. Everyone survived the death of 5-1/2 disks!

I have too many zip disks laying around with old files that I'll never use again. If I need to get a file from work, I'll email it or use idisk. If it's something big, I'll burn it to CD or even better, throw it on the ipod. If it's small but to large for email (over 10mb), or I wont be at an internet computer, I'll use my digicam. I want to get a flashram key of sometype for this very purpose. I hope never to use my floppy drive again.

You all missed the point... i was NOT firing at Dell cause they are second.. i was firing ....naah not even firing...pointing oiut an laughting...cause they announced it as the GREATEST thing ever..it seemed like....they invented fire... they saw the light...they removed the floppy drive... i thought that was kinda funny... i was definetly not firing at anyone...

MMMMMAAANNN

If you lived as a child in the 70's or the 80's, looking
back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we
have........

We got cut and broke bones and broke teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

Now all people do is....BLAME others...try to sue them ...or just find any readson JUST to fight ... guys i was pointing out something FUNNY.... may be i am the onlyone that sees it that was... but....remember the old days.....HAVE fun ..RELAX...take it easy..... a new thread is not a new fight..sometime..we have also to sit back....and enjoy new post and see them as positive...not always with a negative attitude...

this might be off the topic but the steve dude from the dell commercials - was caught doing drugs or something. i will post for more details.

Well what I found funny was the Dell Guy going to jail... for pot lmao... Dude... Your Going to jail... lmao.

Now that we go back and look at those Dell ads I do have one question... Was anybody actually genuinely surprised when they heard about this? ;)

Originally posted by BBenve

Now all people do is....BLAME others...try to sue them ...or just find any readson JUST to fight ... guys i was pointing out something FUNNY.... may be i am the onlyone that sees it that was... but....remember the old days.....HAVE fun ..RELAX...take it easy..... a new thread is not a new fight..sometime..we have also to sit back....and enjoy new post and see them as positive...not always with a negative attitude...

BBenve for PRESIDENT! or for MODERATOR!!

:)

I absolutely ADORE this kind of post.

Its just unbelievable how people want to fight aver everything....

and I find it also very sad
:(

Somebody posted a comment on how flash USB drives aren't adequate. Well, maybe 16 MB isn't that big, but I got a 128 MB one for free from a MS Office upgrade. It's nice!

We're also developing a product here at work which will include USB - These small flash drives will be perfect for software updates. The fact that this thing can plug right into a USB port without a clunky drive or extra media is ideal in our situation.

Dell should've included higher capacity drives IMO. They go up to 512 MB and I've heard of 1 GB models! Of course, the read / write will suck over USB 1.1…

Death to the Floppy drive!

Come on people, really! The floppy drive has been in computers for far too long!

Who here remembers the "punch hole" trick to turn a single sided 5 1/4" floppy into a double sided disk? If you do, you know what I'm talking about.

Part of technology is innovation. Development will not occur as long as there's an acceptable solution in the market place. Since floppy disks were limited by speed and the amount of data that could be stored on them, it was only a matter of time before the information had to be moved to a new medium. It's been a long time since and application could be installed using a floppy.

It probably costs the companies more money to put their program on a series of floppies then it would to burn a CD. So this is good for the companies that are trying to sell their software to the masses. (Because they will be forced to have at least a CD-ROM.).

I think DELL is safe in removing their floppy drives, it leaves more room for other media, which is what the kids want. :)

Back