Dented Mac Pro - am I a fool to not return it?

bunner bob

Registered
My wife's new Mac Pro arrived today and the bottom rear "handle" (actually the "foot") is a bit dented in the middle. Looking in the box it appears the box took a hit there, munching the styrofoam a bit and denting the foot of the mac.

It starts and runs fine as far as I can tell. I reported it to my rep at MacMall - she suggested we just roll with it and see how it goes. She did take detailed notes though. I'm fine with that too - it's really cosmetic, though it does indicate the machine has suffered an impact.

Are there any tests I should run to see if anything is amiss? I'd really rather not hassle with returning it if there's nothing wrong - besides I've already spent a few hours installing software. The Mac has Applecare, fwiw.

- Bob

If it were me I'd definitely return it. I figure you've handed over good money for the product so it should be as you expected it to be. And as you mentioned it has suffered a decent knock to get that dent so there could be some internal damage.

It's up to you and now that you've loaded your apps it would be a pain to have to do it all again.

Think down the road, when you're trying to sell "damaged goods".
Personally, I'd return it.

jb.

I would return it in about two seconds.
1) You bought new and it isn't. That would bug me to no end.
2) Resale. You just took an extra depreciation.
3) Hidden damage. How can you be sure the impact didn't set up the stage for a delayed defect?

Hassle? Yes.
Peace of mind? A bigger YES for me.

Return it, definitely. Or at least get a good rebate from the delivery service. You don't know what'll happen down the road.

Definitely return it, those things aren't exactly flimsy. It must have been a fairly heavy impact to damage it while it was still in the box so there mayber damage that is not manifested itself as a problem yet.

Plus as the others have said it may cause problems in the future if you want to sell it.

I'd return it just on a basis of ensuring Apple honour their 'sales contract' with you.

Either that or donate it to me as an act of kindness.

The fact is if later on down the road a "hidden" issue appears, who says you will find that same mac mall rep, and will he remember.

Return the machine

Back