DESASTER.update: how do I restart a remote Mac?

karotto

Registered
Hi there,
I managed to delete the bad http.conf file with Fetch ftp client. Ftp let's you delete files while the Finder does not due to permissions. So far, so good. How can I restart my remote Mac now? Thank you

If you've enabled the Remote Login option in System Preferences-->Sharing, then you can SSH into your Macintosh using the same address you'd use for accessing the Mac through HTTP.

If you're acessing it from a Windows computer, you can use PuTTY. If you're on another Mac OS X computer or a Linux/UNIX computer, you can use the OpenSSH client from the terminal by typing "ssh" followed by the URL of the Mac (this would be the same name used when accessing the Mac through HTTP hopefully).

Is is that what I should type in terminal:
shh www.website.com

thank you

If it points to that Macintosh, then yes that will work. Just make sure that you do have Remote Login enabled as mentioned above.

To add, you can also install VNC on that Mac. OSXvnc has worked great for me. This will allow you to remotely access the Macintosh graphically instead of through the command line. While Tiger does have support for VNC built-in, I find that it's not as robust as OSXvnc.

And by the way, the command you'll want to type once you do get access is "restart". That will reboot the system.

Back