device drained its buffer (iTunes)

cthompso

Registered
I'm using iTurns 4.0 in Jaguar. Never had a problem burning disks before, but the last couple of days it starts to do the burn, then I get an error message, "The device drained its buffer without burn underrun protection," and the disk pops out. I've tried different disks, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. And of course after this had happened 10 times in a row, it didn't happen once. But now it's back to happening multiple times in a row.

Any ideas? The drive sort of sounds like it's "hunting" a little, so maybe the Superdrive is defective? Or dirty? Has anyone had this happen before?

Thanks so much.

iTunes 4. in Panther is probably the problem. Try burning with Disk Utility or Toast. Also, try burning at a lower speed.

Disk Utility does audio CDs? Since when?!

I'm assuming that you're trying to burn Audio CDs in iTunes, right? bobw's correct in suggesting that you burn the CDs at a slower speed -- I usually do mine at 8x, or 4x if I really get anal about the quality of the burn.

Yes, I'm burning audio cd's with iTunes. I've basically never had any trouble before. I just tried burning at 2X with exactly the same result. And I've used these CD's (rewritables) before--or rather similar ones from the same package, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm wondering whether something might be wrong with the CD burner itself, not the software.

Thanks so much.

Have you tried burning outside of iTunes yet? Do that before you condemn your burner. I would also upgrade to the latest iTunes.

I just looked at Apple's own forum. It appears that this problem is CAUSED by the latest verson of iTunes. No one has the problem with iTunes 3, but the latest version has resulted in this for a lot of people. Apple support is, unfortunately, pretty much denying that it's a problem. Anyway, I guess I'll call Apple support tonight; maybe they'll have some ideas that they haven't posted yet. One customer had the exact same problem; they replaced the drive, and it seems okay now. There's a suggestion by someone that it may be a conflict between the firmware on the drive and the latest version of iTunes.

Thanks for the thoughts.

4.2 showed up in Software Update for me tonight. Now I've got it, and I've got exactly the same problem. Everyone on the Apple Support problem has also reported that 4.2 doesn't make any difference with respect to this problem. And there are lots and lots of posts there about precisely this problem. Hope someone finds a solution. It's going to be hard to explain to my guests next week why I can only burn CDs on our PC!

Might use Toast. It's worth the money, anyway.

Other than that: Sounds bad. The iBooks G3/800 have a problem burning at 16x (as promised in the technical details when I've bought it...). Apple first said it must be the media. After thousands of users shouted a clear "NO!" to Apple in their forums, they came to the conclusion that the drive "only does 4x". Now _that_ made me angry. Mostly because sometimes (best after zapping PRAM and NVRAM) it can burn at 16x just fine. I mean... Even 8x would be alright. But Toast shows the drive burning at 16x (and takes 4 seconds to count down a second...)... Arght! I hope _your_ problem doesn't turn out as badly as mine with Apple...

Restart. Zap PRAM. Try a different disc.

It doesn't matter: "The device drained its buffer without burn underrun protection." That's after dozens of successful burns. I can't believe a problem this widespread is just being swept under the rug. They might as well add: "You are now free to upgrade to Windows XP and iTunes for Windows.

Happy birthday Apple!

Back