diablo2 1.1?

Oooh! Is this patch going to finally make it run in OS X and have support for my GeForce 4? I hate running this game using software acceleration :(

sorry, i'm new around here... but whats wrong with it under osx? it runs fairly well for me (definitely good enough to play) in 800x600 on my 667 powerbook. is it only nvidia cards?

in other news, i'm dying for 1.10 :D

With NVidia cards, Diablo II runs like crap, even on a dual 800. And the 1.10 patch has been coming out "next week" for about a year now.

Actually, for both NVIDIA and ATI cards, hardware acceleration isn't as consistent as software mode in terms of performance for both OS 9 and OS X. Hardware rendering may seem high at first, but once a lot of stuff starts happening on screen then performance drops through the floor.

The absolutely best way to play Diablo II is with a 3dfx card (Voodoo3 or greater) using Glide acceleration. The 3d accelerated aspect of the game was designed with Glide in mind because at the time 3dfx was the king of 3d game acceleration.
In OS 9, RAVE is alright, but heavy traffic can cause major issues. With OpenGL, performance is even worse.
In OS X, OpenGL is the only hardware accelerated API to choose from, but there are issues with texture loading and unloading which cause major performance hits (according to more than one Mac developer).
With FPS games, most textues load during level loading before any action starts. With a game like Diablo II, which is basically a 2D game with a bunch of textures, textures are constantly being loaded and unloaded from the 3D card's VRAM. Because the maps are so big in Diablo II, it's not feasible to load all the textures for the game within the VRAM, let alone the system RAM. Since OS X's OpenGL has slow texture loading and unloading, Diablo II performance suffers.

So basically, unless you're running in OS 9 with a 3dfx card, I think it's better for people to use software rendering. Even with my dual 1.33 GHz Mac with a Radeon 8500, I use software mode in both OS 9 and OS X because of the very noticeable performance issues and even major graphical glitches which occur with RAVE and OpenGL rendering.

Ah. Well, I hope the next OpenGL version will fix that problem up....is Apple in charge of OpenGL updates or is some other company?

Ah, you're right... software rendering is a lot better. The only problem I have with it is that I'm using a 15" tiBook, you know, with the wider screen, and software rendering doesn't use the a wide resolution like OpenGL does, so the picture has huge black bars on either side of the image... any way to fix this?

I think OS 9 might stretch software mode. I don't know of any way to get rid of the black bars in Software mode in OS X. Honestly, I prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio since it isn't distorted. After playing DII with 4:3 screen ratios, I get disoriented when playing with the stretched mode.

yes.

i always just play in windowed mode now because that way i have a decent framerate. just decrease you resolution if you want make the window a tad bigger. i've gotten used to it and really don't complain anymore...

Well...I just got PK'd for no reason (and I was playin hardcore too...so my lvl 30 barb is dead for good). Its this sorta thing I hate about D2...I dont care about the character and the stuff...I just wonder why some people would do stuff like that to someone they dont know for no real reason! :mad:

Originally posted by Greystroke
yes.

i always just play in windowed mode now because that way i have a decent framerate. just decrease you resolution if you want make the window a tad bigger. i've gotten used to it and really don't complain anymore...

Just play in software mode....

it's not so much a patch as it is a minor expansion, with the total re-working of almost every chars skill tree, new items, enhanced minion AI, it basically is an expansion. It is supposedly going to change the gameplay entirely, which i must is a good thing.

And you never can tell when the patch is going to come out. I t was supposed to come out with the last Blizzard Insider, but 'they had to test it so it looks like a couple more weeks'

So here I wait patiently...

Back