diamond pro bleeding colours

case

Registered
hi all

i have a mitsubishi diamond pro 920 CRT monitor.

problem with it is that the colours (primarily in the top left/left side) of screen has colours "bleeding" around the elements - mainly text.

its really bad around the apple/finder/file and edit area in the menu bar and tapers as you go away from that point - but not completly as the bleeding is butting against any edge on the screen but relatively subtly in the centre and right of screen.

is my monitor dying or is there something i can do about this?

could a hardware calibrator help?

someone must have shared this experience.

You mean you're seeing the red, green and blue as a kind of shadow?

If so it sounds like the convergence has drifted. It happens as components age and it's easily fixed, there are internal (sometimes external even) adjustments. The red, green and blue beams drift so they're no longer prefectly aligned with each other to make a white. The convergence on a crt monitor is never perfect, there's always some error near the screen edges but it sounds like you've noticed a change from what it used to be.

Try to find a service manual on the net, it'll have the calibration procedures. You can always just wing it as well, it's not too hard to figure out which control does what. You can find plenty of test patterns on the net as well. You basically just need a grid pattern.

simbalala said:
You mean you're seeing the red, green and blue as a kind of shadow?

If so it sounds like the convergence has drifted. It happens as components age and it's easily fixed, there are internal (sometimes external even) adjustments. The red, green and blue beams drift so they're no longer prefectly aligned with each other to make a white. The convergence on a crt monitor is never perfect, there's always some error near the screen edges but it sounds like you've noticed a change from what it used to be.

Try to find a service manual on the net, it'll have the calibration procedures. You can always just wing it as well, it's not too hard to figure out which control does what. You can find plenty of test patterns on the net as well. You basically just need a grid pattern.

actually if anything, id say that yellow is the most dominant colour- although your suspicsions sound like whats happening.

ill try you suggestion.

now all i need is a manual

thanks for the info

The yellow you see can only be a combination of red and green. There are only three guns in the crt - red, green and blue. So the blue may be off and not converging on the other two colors.

simbalala said:
The yellow you see can only be a combination of red and green. There are only three guns in the crt - red, green and blue. So the blue may be off and not converging on the other two colors.

the only controls i can see/find that i can see are of any relevence are for colour purity in the corners, morie adjustments, vert static and horiz static.

nothing for controling the red/green/blue elements.

Are those options present only on the monitor's external controls, or are you also looking on the inside of the monitor?

On some older Apple displays, a setting called "convergence" was used to adjust the horizontal/vertical convergence of the beams... when this convergence was slightly off, ghosting like you describe (colorful shadows/out-of-focus display) was a typical side effect. Does your monitor have a setting for convergence?

If you do go poking around the internals of the monitor, I would highly suggest reading up on the dangers of doing so -- there are certain parts of the monitor (pats of the ray gun, etc.) that you want to stay away from, since they carry a powerful amount of electricity even after the monitor is unplugged that, in some cases, can be fatal if you touch them. It's usually not a problem, but if you don't know what to watch out for, it can be dangerous.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Are those options present only on the monitor's external controls, or are you also looking on the inside of the monitor?

On some older Apple displays, a setting called "convergence" was used to adjust the horizontal/vertical convergence of the beams... when this convergence was slightly off, ghosting like you describe (colorful shadows/out-of-focus display) was a typical side effect. Does your monitor have a setting for convergence?

If you do go poking around the internals of the monitor, I would highly suggest reading up on the dangers of doing so -- there are certain parts of the monitor (pats of the ray gun, etc.) that you want to stay away from, since they carry a powerful amount of electricity even after the monitor is unplugged that, in some cases, can be fatal if you touch them. It's usually not a problem, but if you don't know what to watch out for, it can be dangerous.

just external controls.

dont like the idea of poking around inside anyway.

FIXED IT!!

fixed using on screen controls, im afraid my unformiliarity of hozional and vertical scan (diamond pro names for convergence control)

THANKS A LOTTO ALL THAT HELPED

Back