dictionary - keyboard shortcut different from context menu

nicodemus

Registered
I've noticed that the keyboard shortcut (as you can check in settings) for dictionary uses this stupid World Reference barf whatever. But the right-click menu uses the simple dictionary application.

Is there any way I can set my keyboard shortcut to use the normal dictionary, like it works with the mouse? I've tried to search in the past, but seem to find it mysteriously difficult to encounter simple info on assigning keyboard shortcuts in settings. How am I supposed to know what the exact menu command is?

To set a Keyboard shortcut just launch System Preferences (in your Dock)->Keyboard & Mouse. Then once the Keyboard and Mouse system Preference just click on the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab. Once in the tab just click on the + button in the bottom left hand corner to add your own custom shortcut.

Thanks muchly for the feedback, but that much is the basic info which I already understand. You leave me hanging at "add your own custom shortcut". It's really frustrating because this is exactly what Mac help does. No examples or guidance on how that should be entered, it just leaves it up to me to magically 'know' how it should be done.

the problem is:
a) there is a 'standard' option for lookup in dictionary. This seems intrinsically linked to the unwanted dictionary application. I don't know how one can change this, or if it's even possible. It would be sweet if there was just some reference in a plist file I could change or something.

b) When it says 'enter the exact menu command', what is that supposed to mean? am I psychic? How am I supposed to know the syntax for that? How am I supposed to use this as a global setting when I have to choose an application?

I can't get my head around why finding examples or info on said custom settings is so difficult. If it does work then fine, but I'm still flummoxed as to how I'm expected to know how to enter the 'menu command' they want.

Considering the dearth of information available, this must be something blindingly obvious. But for the life of me I can't see it. Maybe it's because I'm still deprogramming myself from the Windows "anything simple must be difficult to do" mentality.

'Exact Menu COmmand' means exact;y what is written in the menu for the item you want. For instance in Safari to go backwards the exact menu item is "Back" (minus the quotes) while to add a bookmark its "Add Bookmark..."

Hoe this helps a little.

Yes this helps a little. I just kind of expected some kind of syntax including the menu names or something (like File->Open). I guess my Windows deprogramming process is still not complete.

I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to make an attempt using Dictionary for a custom setting - I hope it allows me to use it universally (as opposed to only from within the Dict. application). We'll see. Will post again on this thread to hassle you all some more if no success.

Many thanks, hugs and kisses...

BUMP

Sorry for the long delay, but I've finally gotten around to looking at this, and you can't just assign the desired keyboard shortcut manually. There's no menu command in 'Dictionary' to use in the sense of how the default 'lookup in dictionary' command shortcut is used.

I would guess that I'm stuffed, which kind of bites, but I'll revive this thread for a tick and see if anyone has any ideas...

Why the hell would they use two different dictionary applications for the right-click and keyboard shortcut menus?, what a bunch of maroons.

BUMP

Sorry for the long delay, but I've finally gotten around to looking at this, and you can't just assign the desired keyboard shortcut manually. There's no menu command in 'Dictionary' to use in the sense of how the default 'lookup in dictionary' command shortcut is used.

I would guess that I'm stuffed, which kind of bites, but I'll revive this thread for a tick and see if anyone has any ideas...

Why the hell would they use two different dictionary applications for the right-click and keyboard shortcut menus?, what a bunch of maroons.

No your are jumping to to your own conclusions. To make your own shortcuts you have to press the + button in the System Preference->Keyboard Shortcuts->"Keyboard Shortcuts" tab. The one thing you have to remember is to disable or delete any default same keyboard shortcuts.

Satcomer, you said, in post#2:
"To set a Keyboard shortcut just launch System Preferences (in your Dock)->Keyboard & Mouse. Then once the Keyboard and Mouse system Preference just click on the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab. Once in the tab just click on the + button in the bottom left hand corner to add your own custom shortcut."

You just repeated it, which to me implies that I haven't read or understood the simplest most obvious part of this the first time around.

Sorry to be bitchy but really, if you want to tell me that I'm jumping to conclusions after my latest attempt, then I sure hope that you can back it up by telling me how to do it.

I CANNOT simulate the same "look up in dictionary" function that happens for right-click menu, or the default keystroke (which uses the unwanted dictionary app).

It looks like the command should be "Look up in Dictionary" (as seen in the Services menu of all apps). I add that, for all applications. I assign a shortcut. It does nothing, nada, zip.

I've been stumped before by Mac stuff that is so mindbogglingly simple and straightforward that I couldn't see the forest for the trees. You can thank my MS background for that, always looking for the most difficult way to do things. But I am aware of that factor in my thinking, and in this case I have exhausted the capacity of my tiny little brain to comprehend this problem or see the solution.

What I am saying is adding a keyboard shortcut is relatively simple in OS X. Maybe you should go for a OS X technical book from places like Oreilly Publishing. They have all kinds of technical how to books around.

Back