Did apple kill internet sharing in iTunes 4.0.1?

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
Apple-K doesn't work any more :(

I searched around, you can still share your music in the prefs pane, but there is no way to manually connect to a shared library that I've found.

Was Apple forced to make it so that you can only share music on your local subnet?

I was using this feature to listen to my music while at my girlfriend's house.

Yep...that feature is removed with the new iTunes update. Sorry. :(

I didn't upgrade for that very reason.

You can use both the old and new version of iTunes on the same machine though. What you might want to do is download the original version of iTunes 4 and then use that one when you want to stream the music. :)

Way to beat a dead horse, but is there any known workaround?

I'm using iTunes 4.1 (52), and like a lot of people, I think, I want to share my own music to myself at another location (in my case another provice).

yes there was a work around for this, i don't remember the address that explained how to hack it, maybe someone here will post it.

Can someone help me with this?

I have router. I'm trying to connect to my home Mac music from my work's XP machine. I doubt there's any firewall issues.

My Router tells me my Internet IP is something like 123.456.789.101

It also tells me that my LAN address is like: 890.456.123.123

My Mac address is just like my LAN but 890.456.123.4 Other things on my LAN are .3 .2 etc. at the end.

What address do I try to open in iTunes? I'm trying daap://123.456.789.101:4689

Is that right? (all numbers are made up, BTW) iTunes tries to open something and then puts the address in my Library but that's it.

I have a related question.

I have four different user accounts on my G4 (Panther). I know I can share my music library with other computers on my subnet, but is it possible to share music libraries between user accounts on the same machine? If it is, I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Thanks,

-tony

cwoody222 said:
Can someone help me with this?

I have router. I'm trying to connect to my home Mac music from my work's XP machine. I doubt there's any firewall issues.

My Router tells me my Internet IP is something like 123.456.789.101

It also tells me that my LAN address is like: 890.456.123.123

My Mac address is just like my LAN but 890.456.123.4 Other things on my LAN are .3 .2 etc. at the end.

What address do I try to open in iTunes? I'm trying daap://123.456.789.101:4689

Is that right? (all numbers are made up, BTW) iTunes tries to open something and then puts the address in my Library but that's it.

If you are sharing within your LAN, you want to connect using the LAN address. The public IP address is actually being shared by all the machines on your network assuming you are using NAT. The LAN address is more than likely a private IP address used for all communication within the LAN beween machines.

Make sure that all firewalls on your machines have the proper ports open. Works great on my network.

d8n_two

I'm not sharing within my LAN. I'm trying to connect to my home Mac from my work PC via the Internet. No LAN involved (other than my home Mac is on my home network via my Router).

cwoody222 said:
I'm not sharing within my LAN. I'm trying to connect to my home Mac from my work PC via the Internet. No LAN involved (other than my home Mac is on my home network via my Router).

Sorry, I read your message too fast. Actually, I believe Apple did disable this feature. You now have to be on the same subnet in order to access another computer's shared lists.

If that's not the case or you use a hack, you would connect via the public IP address, but you would have to tell your router to send all requests on port 4689 to your Mac's LAN IP address on the home network. Port forwarding should be a feature offered in most routers. If it's not setup your router won't know what to do with requests on that port.

d8n_two

Is there a place that will tell me in layman's terms how to do port forwarding? I don't exaclty want to go buy a book, either. My router has a ton of features that I don't have a clue how to use. In this case it's sharing itunes.

dave17lax said:
Is there a place that will tell me in layman's terms how to do port forwarding? I don't exaclty want to go buy a book, either. My router has a ton of features that I don't have a clue how to use. In this case it's sharing itunes.

What kind of router do you have?

d8n_two

I'm having trouble too. I have a Siemens Speedstream 2604. I checked their site / manual but it doesn't mention anything about port forwarding. :(

cwoody222 said:
I'm having trouble too. I have a Siemens Speedstream 2604. I checked their site / manual but it doesn't mention anything about port forwarding. :(

I think SpeedStream may refer to port forwarding as "virtual servers". Look that up in the manual that came with your router. I'm pretty sure that this is the same concept. You'll have to create a custom setup (It should have some preset settings for Web, SMTP, FTP, etc.)

Hope that helps.

d8n_two

Back