differences between classic and full os 9 install?

glevine

Registered
Being new to Macs and dealing with some issues as they come up, I was wondering if there were any differences between a full OS 9 install and the Classic app that comes on the Addtional Software disk in the OS X package? Should all OS 9 software run in Classic mode while in OS X? Thanks

Most all OS 9 software should run in the Classic environment. Software that needs direct access to hardware, like scanner software, probably won't work since the Classic environment doesn't offer the direct hardware access required.

The difference between an install of OS 9 and an install of Classic is that you can actually boot into OS 9 with an OS 9 install (if your machine supports OS 9 booting), whereas Classic does not provide support for booting directly into OS 9, AFAIK.

I have what was probably the last OS9 bootable Mac made, an MDD 1.25GHz single processor...It boots just fine into its Classic OS9.

I have a 6 year old G3 400MHz. It originally booted into OS9 and was upgraded to OSX a little over a year ago. (This info has been relayed to me by those who have been at this company longer). We just started having problems, which appear to hardware related. I was able to get OSX back and booting into OS9 was never a problem, but connecting to the OSX network from that machine running OS9 was a problem. That's why I need to be able to run Classic for everything possible.

Your OS 9 -> OS X connectivity problems may be as simple as turning on "AppleTalk" in the NetInfo Manager utility on the OS X machine.

Back