Differnces between Soundtrack and Garage Band?

Browni

Registered
What are the differences ?

Besides that Garage band comes with I life and you cant get it on its own ( or can u?)

Browni

Here are a few I know of:
Price (obviously)

Garage Band apparently has MIDI support, Soundtrack does not

Soundtrack has extensive features for precisely syncing music to a video recording, Garage Band does not.

So far that's all I know...

Oh so GB is a on the go music recording system and ST is more a editing/ mixing suite

But why have 2 products, that do the similar thing. why not just update ST?

They may very well update soundtrack some time soon - however, ST remains a $299 software package, while GB is a part of the $50 iLife package. They're aimed at different markets.

For whatever reason, Apple considers Soundtrack to be part of it's "Pro Tools" suite, on an even footing with Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro. I know this because the day after I installed Soundtrack, for the first time my Software Update prompted me to install an updated "Pro Tools Runtime". So in some ways, you could say that "Garage Band is to Soundtrack as iMovie is to Final Cut Pro."

Here's another take:

Apple got slammed hard in the beginning of the iTunes Music Store for not carrying a lot of popular, independent labels. Now, they've added hundreds of songs from independent labels much to the fanfare of the users. Good move. What's next? Well, the logical step would be to make it easier for independent artists to sequence, edit and package their music -- enter GarageBand. For $50, artists with a relatively inexpensive computer setup can now record, mix, arrange, and lightly edit their music and export it as AAC files for placement on the iTMS.

SoundTrack is more for what the name implys -- soundtracks are usually musical scores that go along with some sort of video production, whether it be a song played as action occurs on the screen or some sort of ambient music that needs to sync up to on-screen action. Sure, it's great for dabbling around with and making cute little songs out of the supplied loops, but the capabilities of SoundTrack go far beyond making pre-packaged music. GarageBand takes over here for "the rest of us." You can get thousands of loops for $100 so you can really be a one-man band (you play guitar, and drop in some pre-made drum loops, etc.).

If an analogy must be made, it could be that GarageBand does for music what iMovie does for video, the same that SoundTrack does for music what Final Cut Pro does for video -- just on a much more advanced and "pro" level (hehe... like what brianleahy said!).

Besides the looping part, Garage Band has support for up to 64 recorded audio tracks, plus simulation of a wide variety of guitar amplifiers. It's more suited as a lower-end version of Logic or Cubase. Soundtrack is basically all about the loops, and getting your song to mesh well with video.

GarageBand (why oh WHY wouldn't they use a space there?!) also contains an amp modeling system, which I hope will be very very hackable. I'm quite excited about this, because living in an apartment means giving up nice guitar amps. :'( I'd pay $50 for that alone.

EDIT: Oops, Arden covered that.

Note that SoundTrack is integrated with FCP, so it's a fairly painless procedure to quickly move back and forth from video editing to "scoring".

Also, there is a loop tool in SoundTrack that I"m not sure GB has.

Does anyone know if GB excludes third party loops? SoundTrack works with third party loops, which is big.

However, they are VERY similar products. Certainly based on the same code.

I'm pretty sure it does. I read on the site descriprion something like, "If your recording is not long enough, just extended by making it a loop."

My big question is whether or not GB will work with USB/FW DAW controllers, like my Tascam US-428. I know I'll be able to use it as a soundcard, but I dunno about controlling features of the software.

I've got a US-428 as well and it doesn't work with FCP or SoundTrack so I'm guessing we're out of luck with GB. Could be wrong tho.

mindbend said:
I've got a US-428 as well and it doesn't work with FCP or SoundTrack so I'm guessing we're out of luck with GB. Could be wrong tho.
That's because Soundtrack isn't an audio track mixer, it's a loop mixer. A mixing board should work just fine with GarageBand, though you'll have to try it, or talk to someone who has, to be sure.

Phat: heh, definitely. It would be nice if I could pump my drums through my computer and listen to them through headphones, but that's hard to do with accoustic drums. :)

Same difference. The US-428 would be very well served in SoundTrack as well as GB as well as FCP. SoundTrack is every bit the track-based editor as the others.

bjurusik said:
My big question is whether or not GB will work with USB/FW DAW controllers, like my Tascam US-428.

If they are following the midi spec it should.

On another note-
About GarageBand:

"halle-Prheaking-lujah"
They are gonna sell millions of copies.

I now have a cheap, convenient way to write on my powerbook.

I was reading some of the other threads and some bloke was complaining about paying for the new iLife release. All I can say is, GarageBand is worth the price alone. Doing something like this is only going to guarantee Apple's success. ::love::

I think there are alot of musicians who are also going to run, not walk, to buy iLife just for this program.

It will be interesting to see how the other music sequencing developers are going to respond. I would like to know what they are thinking about it.

:)

I like how you'll be able to effortlessly add tracks to your iPod, or home movies, photo slideshows.

Back