Difficulty in IP assignment for nonApple Devices

JMDXRay

Registered
I use a 2nd generation time capsule set up as the primary router with a cable modem connection to the internet and an Extreme as a bridge attached by an ethernet cable. My DHCP range set by the TC is in the 10.0.x.x range. I had problems previously with the extreme getting IP addresses out of range (192.168.x.x) which I couldn't figure out but worked around by assigning a static IP address in range. Everything worked great for over a year.

I have a large-ish network with upto 28 devices, many of them Sonos equipment which handles its own subnetwork with IP's handed out by the TC. Recently the TC has not been timely in handing out IP addresses to non-Apple devices such as my sons' and guests' PC laptops, Kindle Fire and some sonos controllers. The Kindle and controllers power down to save battery, so I thought it might be a leasing issue but increasing the lease to one day still had delayed or no IP assignment on wake up within the lease time.

Even when I reserve the IP addresses for these devices, they don't always connect. The Kindle and the PCs will say they connect to the network (sometimes with a number after the network name, ssid2 for example when the network is ssid) but they can't get to the internet because the IP is in the 192.168.x.x range. I have tried a hard reset. I am thinking of changing the range into the 192.168 range on the TC but that will mean rebooting all these devices. My and guest apple devices don't have any problems getting on the network or getting to the internet.

Anyone have any ideas or had similiar problems? Thanks in advance for any help.

JMD

When you set an Apple router in "Bridged Mode" that simply means that it will NOT do DHCP and let the device the it is connect to to do the DHCP. This prevents the dreaded "Double NAT" of a device doing DHCP behind another DHCP server.

If the wireless router was behind a modem why did you prevent it to doing DHCP?

I didn't. The Extreme just extends the network (bridge mode) where it is out of range of the TC; it is attached to a switch which goes to the TC (router). If the Extreme weren't in bridge mode you would would get confilicts as two devices would be giving out IP addresses to the same devices. The TC is acting as the DHCP router.

...The Extreme ... is attached to a switch which goes to the TC (router). The TC is acting as the DHCP router.

The TC and the Extreme are usually pretty good about letting you know there's a connection problem, or a potential problem is detected, with the connection light showing amber, rather than green...

Is it possible that your switch is acting up? Does it have any router capabilities?
Have you tried a hard reset of that switch?

Thanks. I did a power cycle on the switch once, but no (perceptible) change. It doesn't have the ability to do reset or firmware change and doesn't have any routing fxns, but I wondered whether that was why the Extreme was getting out of range IP address in the past. Both TC/Extreme are green lit, and accessible via wired and wireless computers on the network via airport utility since setting reserved/static on at each end (TC reserve/extreme static). Since reserving about 10 IPs for certain problem devices I haven't had any recurrent issues. Have to see when the kids come home for the holidays whether we have any more problems. Thanks again for the input.

JMD

Back