Difficulty installing iTunes 4.5

originaljohn

Registered
Hi folks!

I have had some trouble installing iTunes 4.5. Originally, I was using OS X 10.2.8, and when I tried doing the update from SoftwareUpdate, the iTunes installation would always just crash without any error messages. All other installations via the software update have been fine. I then updated to Panther, currently at 10.3.4, and had the exact same problems. I tried putting my current iTunes (4.1) in the trash...to no avail.

I read the forums and saw some similar problems with updates. I ran the disk repair utilities to correct permitions. I have done an "fsck". I have done the "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" from the command line.

Then i finally tried "sudo softwareupdate -i -a" from the command line and got the following message:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a
Password:
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2003 Apple Computer, Inc.

iTunes: 0...10...20...30...40...50buffer overflow!
Abort

This is the first clue i had into what was going wrong. Unfortunately, it has not helped me to fix my problem. I have downloaded multiple copies of the itunes update, both manually and via the control panel. They all result in the same problem. Anyone have an idea of what is happening here?

Any insights are appreciated!

Just a thought. Go to Home>Library>Preferences... and trash the com.apple.iTunes.plist file. Empty the trash, then try.

Can you launch iTunes or do you get errors then too?

Cheryl said:
Just a thought. Go to Home>Library>Preferences... and trash the com.apple.iTunes.plist file. Empty the trash, then try.

Can you launch iTunes or do you get errors then too?

I tried trashing the plist file but still get the same error. I can launch the current itunes without problem.

Thanks!
John

Hmmm... well, I don't know what else to suggest -- are you logged in as an admin user? Are you logged in as the default admin user? Repaired Permissions on the drive?

If you've tried those things above, try creating a new user account (whatever) and log in as that new user and then try installing. If it works, then we've narrowed it down to something awry with your user account and not the system itself.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Hmmm... well, I don't know what else to suggest -- are you logged in as an admin user? Are you logged in as the default admin user? Repaired Permissions on the drive?

If you've tried those things above, try creating a new user account (whatever) and log in as that new user and then try installing. If it works, then we've narrowed it down to something awry with your user account and not the system itself.

I repaired permissions on the drive, eventhough it did not give me an error on permissions. I did that using my own account, with has admin privileges, but not using a default admin login. Curiously, no other installer/updater has had this problem and the permissions were fine on the iTunes. I'll try that out your suggestions.

Thanks again!
John

It could be a corrupt password. Change your password, log out, then log in using the new password. Now try.

Cheryl said:
It could be a corrupt password. Change your password, log out, then log in using the new password. Now try.

Could that affect an iTunes installation without affecting any other installation? Using the GUI-based software update, the installation goes past the password phase fine and only crashes later when the installaer is "examining the package".

Thanks again, Cheryl!

John

Control click the iTunes.mpkg and select "Show Package Contents". Inside /Contents/Resources is the iTunes.pkg. Double click that and install. I had a problem as well and this allowed 4.5 to install.

Mod

This is from the iLife package right? You're reinstalling iTunes 4 from that and hoping to upgrade?

Randman said:
This is from the iLife package right? You're reinstalling iTunes 4 from that and hoping to upgrade?

No, this is from the standalone installer. I dont have iLife at all. I just want to upgrade my old iTunes to the latest iTunes 4.5

Thanks!
John

Back