Digital Camera advise?

Paul C

Registered
I'm looking to get a new digital camera, bearing in mind my last camera was a 2.0 megapixel Fuji Finepix from 4 years ago, basically I was wondering could anyone give some advise on good mac compatible cameras which don't cost more than £150 ($260), I was looking at a 4mp. :confused:

While this is sure to cause a flame war, I recommend whatever Canon or Nikon you can afford that meets your requirements (and all in my experience are picked up immediately by the mac.

No one else comes close to quality for the price.

Try dpreview.com for enough details to make you scream.

Thanks dude, glad you said that cos I was looking at a Nikon, Canon or Fuji but I like the Nikon the most.

I can second the vote for Canon cameras. Image quality is excellent, they're built rugged, and have no connection problems with Mac OS X.

I've got an old S200 (2MP) that still takes better pictures than a lot of the low-price 3-5MP cameras.

Costco member? The Canon SD400 (5MP) is available for 269. Under 300 at many places. Excellent camera for the price and small enough for the pocket...literally!

And it won't scratch like the Nano! ;)

All the advice i ever get is for Canon or Nikon. Nikon's are pricier, so I've always gone for the cannons and they've been excellent. There is a very nice Ixus 40 (4MP) on amazon uk here for £166, a touch over your budget but worth it if you can afford it.

lbj said:
Costco member? The Canon SD400 (5MP) is available for 269. Under 300 at many places. Excellent camera for the price and small enough for the pocket...literally!

And it won't scratch like the Nano! ;)

lol, yeah dude we have Costco over here and I'm a member so I'll check it out, my girlfriend is now hassling me to wait until January when we have the sales here in England so I can get more camera for less, why do women always have to spoil things :confused:

I agree with the others...Nikon or Canon all the way. I prefer the Nikons, but Canon does make some darn good cameras too. Either brand should give you excellent pics and years of trouble-free use.

Ritz Camera has a deal right now on the Nikon 8400 for $399(£232) that's unbelievable...it'd definitely be worth a look into and they don't have an issue with international orders. Normal price for that model is $899 (£523).

You've probably already bought your camera but for anyone else here's my two pennies worth...

I have always used Sony digital cameras, I think the 7 megapixel Sony DSC-W7 is the 5th I've owned and I'm extremely happy with it.
Check out the photo of Hong-Kong Harbour (reduced to 800x600, 80% quality)

Pros:
Menus easy to understand/navigate
Fully auto/semi-auto/programmable
Huge 2.5" screen
Fantastic picture quality with Carl Zeiss Lens
Good battery life (300 pictures no probs)
AA size rechargeable batteries, cheap to buy spares/use Alkalines in emergency
Sturdy construction
Ability to add Wide-angle/Zoom lenses/Filters (3rd party ones work too)
Ability to use underwater housing down to 40m/132ft

Cons:
Quite a bulky camera
Sony memory sticks are the most expensive £/Mb
Not infolithium battery so no "time remaining"
Small view finder
Accessories can be exensive (but at least they're available!)

Sony also make an otherwise identical 5 MP version (DSC-W5). The DSC-P200 seems to be basically the same kit (as the W7) housed in a smaller casing with smaller screen and infolithium battery. Perhaps more suitable if you want a truly pocket-sized camera, but no accessories (except perhaps a flash) are available for it as far as I'm aware.

For standardized thorough tests/reviews/comparisons I do most of my camera research at www.megapixel.net

Attachments

• Hong Kong Harbour.jpg
    Hong Kong Harbour.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 5
the Canon IXUS 40 mentioned above gets my recomendation. i have the 30, and it's an amzing little camera, with some fantastic optics. mine is only hampered by it's low output resolution (3megapixel). the macro mode is amazing; take any picture, no matter how close you are. this is a duck feather:

Attachments

• 9 - Feather - Photography.jpg
    9 - Feather - Photography.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 4
Back