direct cd burning

Koelling

I Think Different
I personally haven't spent too much time on this issue because I have homework to do, but my room mate would like to burn a direct copy of a music cd. How would he do this? In iTunes all you can do is rip it, which he can then burn but that takes a bunch of extra time converting back and forth. I would think there is some way to "duplicate CD" in disk copy (the disk burning software).

A search of this site brings no results so either nobody wants to do this or it is really easy. Thanks for your help.

First open Disk Copy and make an image of the Audio CD and save it to somewhere like your desktop.

Once that's done, eject it and put in a blank CD. You can then burn the image file in Disk Copy. It'll make an exact copy.

Let me know if you need more specific instructions.

Originally posted by dricci
First open Disk Copy and make an image of the Audio CD and save it to somewhere like your desktop.

Once that's done, eject it and put in a blank CD. You can then burn the image file in Disk Copy. It'll make an exact copy.

Let me know if you need more specific instructions.

AFAIW... I don't think you can make an image of an Audio CD... You can only make images of a Data CD...

The only way I could copy a CD is to make all the tracks into MP3s and burn the tracks using iTunes... A real pain.

Maybe Roxio Toast as way to do this?

-B

Originally posted by phatsharpie
Maybe Roxio Toast as way to do this?

In Toast you can copy a CD from one drive to another. Of course, you have to have one CD-ROM drive, and one CD-R/RW writer.

I tried doing that. Toast has a way to do this, you just move the audio cd icon to toast and then press record and it askes you to put a in blank cd-r. The only trouble is that I could not make it work, but they say it's possible.

he does have an external burner so that is an option but it really seems like there should be a way to burn straight from one to another.

Does anyone know if he copied all the aiff files from the audio cd to a data formatted disk if that would still play in a cd player?

You don't have to save it as a disk image first, you can just mount a disk image and then insert a blank cd-r and press record.

You can import to iTunes in original AIFF format from CD.
Then you won't go through the quality-degrading and time-consuming
double conversion, when you burn to audio CD.
The setting is in the iTunes preference's import tab.
Your playlist for burning will then be a list of AIFF files, not mp3 files.

No, you can't copy the audio cd's data files, burn them, and expect to play in an audio player.

As noted elsewhere, you can use toast to directly copy a CD, if you have a reader as well as a writer.

I have successfully copied and burned an audio CD (exact copy) with Toast Titanium with ONE CD-R drive.

I did this:

1. Insert audio CD.
2. Choose "Save as > Disc Image"
3. Wait a long time.
4. Take out CD when it's done.
5. Insert CD-R disc.
6. Burn image.

Worked flawlessly.

Originally posted by Koelling
he does have an external burner so that is an option but it really seems like there should be a way to burn straight from one to another.

Does anyone know if he copied all the aiff files from the audio cd to a data formatted disk if that would still play in a cd player?

Open "Toast", Select "Copy", Select appropriate "Read From Drive" (ie. CD drive in mac), Put blank CD in CD-RW (External). Push "Copy", Thats it. If it doesn't work, your doing something wrong.

yea, i don't which pc all you guys learned to copy audio cd's with, but tk4 is telling it like it is. It takes about 10 mins or less total on a 8x write cdrw. of course remember you can't write faster than your source material can be read.

As noted elsewhere, you can use toast to directly copy a CD, if you have a reader as well as a writer.

You don't even need a reader *and* a writer.

Insert the Audio CD into the writer, in Toast, select "Copy". Click "Record". After Toast is finished preparing the disk, it will eject the Audio CD and ask you to insert a blank one.
It's *that* easy. You don't even need more than *one* writer....:eek:

I've done that millions of times and never had any problem.

Here is a summary of what is and isn't possible, for original audio format CD (AIFF).

Disk Copy - forget it. You can't burn an audio CD image. Doesn't support direct CD-to-CD even if you have a second CD-ROM as a source.

Toast - Can handle either CD-to-CD (with second drive as a source) or Audio CD image-to-CD (Can create the image for you; useful for multiple copies, because much faster from the image).

My problem is that I get errors using Toast or Itunes or Disk Copy, for audio or data CDs, if I get close to filling (say 550MB on a 650MB CD). I've selected a speed way down from max, to make sure I don't overrun the buffer.

Since I didn't try it before, I'm not sure if it a OS 10.1.5 problem, or if the problem always existed. Maybe the problem only exists on unsupported systems like mine. Any input?

Mac 7500 G3 (unsupported system for OS 10) 400MHz,
OS 10.1.5, Toast 5.1.3, 448MB RAM,
Yamaha 6416S (SCSI external model) connected to mother board external SCSI port. Tried Screen saver and Sleep disabled.

Physics Dude: if you only have problems with the last bit, which is always the outside edge, it sounds like one of your drives may have a balance issue. Physically it may be wobbling the media, and by the time you start writing way out to the edge of the disc the wobble exceeds the tolerances and ... blamo corrupto.

Just a thought.

Yeah, Toast rocks, and I actually prefer the rip to AIFF and burn method better than the CD to CD copy for audio, as audio CD's are so weak in their formatting you're actually less likely to have errors manifest themselves if you make AIFFs out of the original audio. I have so many PC friends who just can't keep their mp3's from having clicks in them because they never actually get the correct data off of the audio CD's. Macs extract properly. ... unless it's Celine Dion. ;-)

Back