Disable intrusive background processes

tdemarco

Registered
How to get rid of uninvited self-starting background processes (eg Adobe and Google updaters) in Lion? I knew how to do it in OSX 10.6, but not clear what to do in Lion. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Ah, OK!
If you are nervous about the so-called 'intrusiveness' of Adobe and Google apps, then the easy answer is: remove them from your Mac completely - case closed....

OTOH, if you like, or maybe require either Adobe apps, or Google apps (which most here seem to feel is somewhat more "evil" in intent than Adobe, if that truly is the intent), then what is the result if you use the same 'neutering' method that you already know how to use in Snow Leopard?
note: some articles that I read seem to have the opinion that the current Google Chrome, with its built-in flash, seems to be a safer browser than the OS X system itself - at least with the current round of flashback trojans, and the fact that Chrome keeps itself up-to-date with the latest Flash patches.
I'm thinking that's a Good Thing™
Sometimes you get to balance the good with your impression of 'bad'

Most Mac apps include a preference to turn auto updates off. I personally prefer to manually check on all apps (and only if I feel an update will help) for updates.

Ay, there's the rub...
Google tends to do what it thinks is best for you, without allowing you the trauma of deciding if "an update will help" or not - and is one of those Google issues that some folks don't particularly like.

Never bothered using Chrome since I still mostly compute with PowerPC. I'm a bit of a Camino loyalist with a dash of Omniweb. I have a C2D mini on my TV that I do a bit of browsing on now and then but still use Camino and Omni.

I love gmail and google earth but other than that I have no interest in the big G really. The "we know whats best for you" mindset just doesn't work for me. The biggest enemy of the common user is ignorance.

And, having an OS older than 10.6 means that you also don't get to 'participate' in the recent challenges with trojans.... which is related to why this thread has a couple of important issues:
Browsers (and other apps) that don't always do as you expect.
Security issues where those browsers (perhaps) need to have a better focus.

Simple issues, with complex answers.

Back