Disabling animated effects in OS X

My god, this is the most pathetic thread i've ever read (even if it is 9 years old), i hope this whole forum isn't as useless as this. Are there no mods here?

Anyway, to not make it anymore pathetic than it already is and in case someone was actually looking for a solution in this thread, here's how to do it.

Trolling through some old stuff? Why would you even bother?
This thread was mostly commenting about the GUI performance of OS X Beta, which, at that time, _was_ pathetic! It was not a usable operating system at that point, by any stretch, and for a user to uncover some of the internal settings was unusual at that point.
We were still nearly a year away from version 10.1 at that time.

It's just simply a QOL issue for me. I see no reason to have an animated effect when it simply could "snap" and be done. Some of us prefer it that way, I don't see why people who do prefer a fairly no frills experience has to back it up with explanation other than that.

Oh gahbes, how very useful and unpathetic to revive threads from barely this millennium. I'm sure anyone who didn't like the animated effects didn't figure how to disable them by now, and surely never touched e.g. OnyX which also has allowed those changes for the past few years at least.

I had a problem several years ago relating to GUI animation which I was never able to resolve. I was working for a video post-production company that needed to output QuickTimes to videotape. We had Macs with digital video I/O cards. The video card showed up as a second monitor. We could output by doing "Present Movie" in QuickTime Pro and directing it to the secondary monitor. That worked great, until one day the system started using an animated effect when switching from Window mode to Full Screen mode which caused us to lose the first few frames of the clip during the effect. As a result we had to prepend a leader to all clips before outputting. It was a huge pain and a lot of the users just weren't technically proficient enough to handle it. So there's an example of a completely practical reason for suppressing the effects.

If you know how to do this, I'd still be interested in knowing.

Back