Disc Burning Question 2.6gb -> 4.7gb??

lombarke

Registered
Hey all. I'm having trouble. A friend of mine asked me to make him a copy of a DVD he had...so I stuck it in my drive, loaded up Toast, and proceeded to burn. It copied over, but didn't play in my dvd player. Then I noticed it was a 2.6gb disc he had asked me to copy, and I copied it onto a 4.7gb dvd. I've never had a problem with the media (burning OR playing), so I'm thinking that maybe it is not possible to go from 2.6 -> 4.7? Is that right? If so, are there better ways of doing it? It's on 10.4.2, with Toast 6.1.1

Thanks in advance for all your help.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
In what format did you burn the disk? UDF? Mac OS Extended? ISO9660?

i just did a disk copy in Toast. If you mean what format the original DVD was in (the 2.6gb), I have no idea, it was my friend's...and it worked in my DVD player, so I'm assuming the original was fine...so I just did a disk copy.

Well, we might need to know... do a "Get Info" on the 2.6GB disk and see what format is reported...

It may help to copy the files off of the 2.6GB DVD onto your hard drive, then burn those files to another DVD.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Well, we might need to know... do a "Get Info" on the 2.6GB disk and see what format is reported...

It may help to copy the files off of the 2.6GB DVD onto your hard drive, then burn those files to another DVD.

That sounds good...I would have had all this information sooner, but I had to return his DVD. Perhaps I will try again in the future, but I'm actually out of blank DVD's at the moment and waiting for a new shipment to come in.

I wouldn't need to do anything special for the DVD? I can just copy the contents of the DVD onto my harddrive, and then burn them to a blank DVD? I don't need to make a "dvd master" image or anything like that???

Could it simply be that you're talking about a normal, copyprotected, retail video DVD? You can't simply copy those. And we don't talk about circumventing copy-protection schemes here on macosx.com.

fryke said:
Could it simply be that you're talking about a normal, copyprotected, retail video DVD? You can't simply copy those. And we don't talk about circumventing copy-protection schemes here on macosx.com.

Nope...I actually have no problem making copies of copyrighted, retail video DVDs using the proper software. And to my knowledge, no movies come on 2.6gb DVD media, as it's pretty much first-generation crap. And I know we don't talk about circumventing css here...but I do appreciate the help! /sarcasm

Back