Disk icon - Won't let me add one

GrBear

Registered
Just upgraded to Tiger, and ran into a problem I never had in any previous version of Mac OS X.

I installed Tiger onto another drive, and now wanted to transfer the drive's custom icon from one drive to the new Tiger drive. I do a get info on both drives, copy the icon from the old drive but I can't paste it onto the new drive.

Checking Ownership & Permissions of the drive says:

You can: Read Only

Umm, I am the admin of my own computer. Did Apple change something in Tiger so you don't have access to the root folder anymore?

Sadly no..

I can on my old drive, but not on the new one. I had re-partitioned it with Disk Utility under 10.3.9, but that shouldn't make any difference, I wouldn't think.

I haven't had to do that before. I don't even know if there's a updated Tiger utility to do that yet.

mmm, I have the same problem here!

managed to change the icon once, but now It won't let me select it.

Can you change the permission of the drive manually? In the Get Info window, click the little lock in the permissions section, then set "group" to "admin" and access to "read & write". I've had to do this to a few drives myself (including one from a stock iBook; go figure!).

mmm, i don't think it's a permissions things as it let me change the icon once, two minutes later it won't let me change it again.

wierd

Maybe you need to boot your computer with the drive that is going to receive the icon.

When you boot your computer with a certain drive, any other drive that has Mac OS X installed on it may not appear to be readable/writable to you, due to a difference in usernames or something.

Just a thought.

How about trying an Icon-Software like CandyBar?

Maybe it can work around the permission thingy

Back