Disk Insertion error for USB flash drive

amycq

Registered
I just got a new SanDisk Cruzer Mirco 1GB flash drive to uses for my new G5 Powermac. When I first plugged it into the USB port I got an error message saying "Disk Insertion The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" with the options to "ignore" or "eject". I'm new to Macs but knew I had to probably reformat the drive, which I did in Disk Utility to Mac Extended (journaled and also tried it not journaled). But I continue to get the same error message everytime I connect the drive to my computer. I can see the drive, open it and save to it but it's bugging me why i'm still getting that error message. Am I missing something here?

This fix may help because USB can "hang up" some times on computers. Just disconnect the drive or any other USB/Firewire devices (expect the mouse and keyboard) then Reset PRAM. This should help.

hi, I have the same problem with my WD Studio.

I regularly do the PRAM reset on start up but this message occasionally comes back (not sure if it does EVERY single time).

As long as i choose the "ignore" option it works fine.
Shall I consider that this drive will certainly fail because of this warning? Or do you know if it's ok to keep using it like that?

Back