Disk is unreadable

Markzen

Registered
Hi! I'm not sure if this is something you can help me with, but I can't find any info online about this weird problem. It's a bit complicated so please bear with me.

I recently shot a film using the RED Scarlet and we stored the files on 2 2TB Seagate Barracuda bare drives using the Voyager Q dock. We cloned the drives, giving us 4 2 tb drives. During filming we used my friends MacBook Pro, a much newer model than mine and running Lion.

When I tried to mount the drives onto my Macbook Pro, (2008 MacBook Pro, MacBookPro5,1, running OSX 10.5.8) it told me that all of the disks were not readable. Further investigation showed that my computer was saying that they were formatted for Windows. We've only ever used these disks and the dock on one other computer and it was a Mac. My computer was unable to read any of the 4 disks. I have 2 Voyager docks and it didn't work with either of them.

Could this have to do with the fact that I have an old OS? If I updated to Lion, might that solve the problem? Any thoughts about this weird thing?

Thank you!!

were all these drives new?
new drives come formatted for MS Windows and need to be partitioned and formatted for a Mac before use.

Big drives like that would be formatted NTFS, I suppose.
The Mac should read the files without problems, I would think.
OS X does not yet provide for modifying or writing to NTFS volumes natively.

Can you try one or more of the drives on the same Mac that you used for the files in the first place?
Finally, try one of the drives on a Windows system.

Back