Disk Optimization

Thanks perfessor101! My old friends Tech Tool - how I don't miss needing it with OS X! :) I promise the others to only use these tools on a non booting/bootable drive.

karavite said:
Thanks perfessor101! I promise the others to only use these tools on a non booting/bootable drive.
You missed the point. There is absolutely no reason not to defragment the boot drive.

I have been running the same panther install since Nov. 03 and have never defraged. I use my machine 4-6 hours a day every single day and use a lot of very large files. the only maintenance I ever do is repair permissions. my machine is on 24/7 so it runs all the scripts it needs while I sleep.

I have never ever experienced any problems or slow downs of any kind. my machine is 100% rock solid.

you need to start thinking in the unix mindset and get out of that classic os state of mind for maintenance.

perfessor101 said:
You missed the point. There is absolutely no reason not to defragment the boot drive.

With that comment, I was writing to the 20 people who said not to defragment the boot drive. I don't keep any FCP video or render files on my boot drive, it is running fine, and my original question/post was always referring to my file drive, but I will keep this in mind.

you need to start thinking in the unix mindset and get out of that classic os state of mind for maintenance.

Ay carumba, did anyone except eldiablo see that I originally asked about this because the FCP manual itself says in plain language that using FCP where it writes loads of large render files will certainly fragment a drive - bootable or not - and that I am only referring to defragmenting my video file drive that does NOT NOT NOT have OSX installed on it? Perhaps we all need to get into the take a moment and read more than the last 2 posts mindset? As for defragmenting bootable drives, I have no opinion or need. You guys fight it out.

bobw said:
...different parts of a single file stored in different locations on a volume. The process of collecting file fragments and putting them "back together" is known as optimization. However, if a failure occurs during optimization, such as power loss, files could become damaged and need to be restored from a backup copy...

When I make a backup CD of such files (before opimizing, that is) - how do they get recorded onto the actual CD - as fragments (collected from all over the volume) or does each of these fragmented files get written onto a CD "in one continuous piece" so to speak? I use Toast for backups, and usually select a Mac OS Extended/PC Hybrid CD format for burning.

Thanks in advance for anyone's advice on this..

dk

No problem here. Toast takes the files, not the HD structure.

Defragmenting my drive with TTP takes, say, 8-10 hours or something. Defragmenting by erasing the harddrive, reinstalling and applying backups takes about 45 minutes. Easy choice for me.

fryke said:
Defragmenting my drive with TTP takes, say, 8-10 hours or something. Defragmenting by erasing the harddrive, reinstalling and applying backups takes about 45 minutes. Easy choice for me.

I hear what you're saying but it will take 8-10 hours to get all your apps reinstalled and setup everything. this is with me anyway.. anytime I do an install I go very slow and check everything twice to be sure all will be well. because of this anal install style though I get 1-2 years at least (sometimes 3) out of an install before I feel its time to do it over again. I bought and installed panther the day it came out in stores and am still running that same install. just under a year at this point and its tip top. as I said though i'm a very anal user and treat my system as if its my tool to win an organization competition. :)

I am still a fan of optimization - my HD gets trashed from the amount of work that I do with it so once in a while I benefit from a good DiskWarrior run.

fryke said:

Interesting - would the same would occur with a non OS disk that just holds video files? Would simply backing up the files on another disk, reformatting the drive and copying back the files achieve the same result? Gosh, fryke, you may have actually saved me a ton of time as well as some money?

Blue and white man - sorry if I was a dork with you, I felt like nobody was listening to my specific issue. It's hard to know who is talking to who in these multiple conversation threads!

Yep, in fact, it would work better on a non-system drive. I think, also, we need to make a distinction between "defragmenting" and "optimizing."

Copying files off of a drive and then back onto the drive all at once defragments a drive. All files will be written in contiguous blocks, eliminating file fragmentation.

Optimizing, on the other hand, is a fancy term for where the files are placed on the disk. With Norton Utilities and other disk optimizing programs, system files were placed at the beginning of the disk and documents and data files were placed at the end, leaving your empty space in a big chunk in the middle. While this also had the effect of defragmenting the drive, it went a step further and actually defined where the files were stored on the disk. With the old Classic Norton Utilities, you could select different profiles from a menu, say, one for your boot drive and a different profile for your data drive depending on what kind of use you wanted them optimized for.

But yes, in short, copying files off of a data drive, formatting the drive, then copying them back will have similar results to what disk defragmentation utilities do.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Yep, in fact, it would work better on a non-system drive. ...
Copying files off of a drive and then back onto the drive all at once defragments a drive. All files will be written in contiguous blocks, eliminating file fragmentation.

Great - that is all I need to know! Thanks to all.

Back