Disk Permissions

johngaulbert

Registered
When I attempt to verify or repair disk permissions the process starts and then stops. The following message appears in a drop down message box:
First Aid failed. Disk Utility stopped verifying (repairing) on G4HD because the
following error was encountered: no valid packages.

My disk verifies in working order. I have used DU from the installer disk and obtained the same resulting error message. I have run Tech Tool Pro's optimization and maintenance sequences. I reinstalled Security Update 2008-003 PPC thinking it might have been the problem. This permissions verification/repair problem and a problem with my firewire external HD and iPod failing to mount started after I installed the security update. (I am not asking for help with the firewire drive problems here - that is for another forum)

I am running 10.4.11 on a G4. I guess my next step is to reinstall 10.4.6, the version I bought

Any suggestions? Thanks

MRW

This is a common situation. You may have tried to clean up your drive, and perhaps emptied the /Library/Receipts folder? Those receipt files are used by the Disk Utility to verify the permissions on your system. If those receipt files are gone, then the repair permissions can't proceed. The only fix is to replace those files by reinstalling. An Archive & install with your 10.4.6, then update again to 10.4.11 plus the other apps that may get updated will then allow your Disk Utility to repair permissions again.
I suggest that you leave that receipts folder untouched next time.

Apple has an article about this Disc Utility error:

Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4: Disk Utility shows a "No Valid Packages" alert

Apple's suggestion is that before reinstalling you should try:

If the file has been deleted, replace it by copying it from a different computer that uses Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.4

I compressed the required .pkg file and you can download it from here:

megaupload.com

I am running Mac OS 10.4.11 and hopefully you can unzip and place my BaseSystem.pkg in your:

MacintoshHD ~> Library ~> Receipts directory,

then successfully run Disc Utilities without the error showing and carry on regardless without needing to reinstalling your System.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your help. I did remove and trash the file BaseSystem.pkg. Several people sent me a file download link. The file is back in the Receipts folder and disk permissions runs as it should. This support site is a fabulous resource.

do i need to unzip files before i burn them .i will be burning files on windows what burning software will i need to use as it is for the mac, any help will be great i am ok with windows but the mac is another thing will learn in time. thanks for any help. :)

Just unzip the file I sent, inside is a file (BaseSystem.pkg) that looks like this...

file.jpg

You need to drag and drop this file to

"drive name/Library/Receipts/" folder.

note! substitute the name of your Hard Drive for "drive name"

double note!! no burning involved...

final note!!! this only works if you are running OS X 10.4 which you've failed to mention.

Last edited:
hi i was running 10. 4 but i have upgraded from panther which is original OS. i understand about unzipping folder how do i put it on my mac now sounding stupid.

dbl-clk on your Hard drive (Drive icon, should be top-right on your monitor)
dbl-clk on the Library folder
dbl-clk on the Receipts folder

now drag and drop the "BaseSystem.pkg" file into the Receipts folder.
confirm any prompts that may pop up.

when done retry repairing disk permissions from "Disk Utility".

Last edited:
Back