Displays and dead pixels

AnotherJenny

Registered
Just curious, is a dead pixel indicative of anything to come?

Will it really remain "just one dead pixel" or does one dead pixel mean soon there will be 2 and so on?

Just curious, thanks!

AnotherJenny said:
Just curious, is a dead pixel indicative of anything to come?

Will it really remain "just one dead pixel" or does one dead pixel mean soon there will be 2 and so on?

Just curious, thanks!

Within an hour of powering up my laptop for the first time, I noticed a dead pixel. It's been a year and a half... it remains a lonely pixel. If you can find more than three within the warranty period, you might get Apple to do something about it.

Yep -- a dead pixel is just that: one dead pixel. It does not indicate any manufacturing flaw or problem with the display at all. It's just that LCDs are pesky, delicate things, and (much like computer processors), the manufacturing process is not perfect.

Most vendors won't replace the display unless the number of dead pixels is above a certain threshhold -- some say 5 dead pixels, some say 15 dead pixels, some say a certain percentage of the overall number of pixels.

Depending on what kind of display/computer you have, you may be able to "massage" the pixel back to life -- sometimes they're not dead, just stuck. If you've got a laptop computer, try GENTLY massaging the back of the display directly behind the dead pixel -- sometimes this small amount of force will force the pixel back to life. Caution: if you massage too hard or flex the display too much, you may end up with more serious problems. If you feel you'd apply too much pressure or fear damaging the display, don't do it and live with the pixel.

No dead pixel is permanently stuck, because the liquid crystals are not frozen. Some just won't go back even with thorough massaging.

What company has their dead pixel limit to 15??? That's crazy! I say 5 is the number it would have to have in order for return, but i can't live with even one on my home display. Notebooks are okay, but high quality desktop lcds do not deserve to have them.

i got a pixel stuck on red, but goes off for black, within 2 weeks on my 17in viewsonic. their policy is 7 bad before they will replace it, and w/in 3yrs too. but lucky for me, its in the upper corner where i don't even notice unless someone says something.

I'm fortunate enough to never have had a dead pixel in my imac/ibook.

just in case I ever do, I downloaded this little video that is *supposed* to fix dead pixels. I'm facinated to know if it works, so I have uploaded it to my ISP webspace in case anyone here wants to try:

REMOVED FROM SERVER
If you want to download it, post in this thread, or private message me.

You're supposed to leave the video on over the top of the dead pixel overnight and it will magically disappear. I've also heard people say massaging the dead pixel while the video is playing helps.

Is this plausible, or baloney?

SuperTyphoon said:
How do you play an MP4 file? I want to test it out for my windows machine.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you need the latest version of QuickTime to play this.

nixgeek said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you need the latest version of QuickTime to play this.

Besides, the only thing that movie would do is leave you blind. :D But I guess that would also count as taking that dead pixel out of your life...

sorry about the video format. I don't particularly that format but it seemed to be the only one that got the size small enough to fit on ISP web space :D Worked fine on my macs, but I didn't anticipate Windows use :/

post back here with your results!

Dusky said:
Besides, the only thing that movie would do is leave you blind. :D But I guess that would also count as taking that dead pixel out of your life...

lol

Just download QT and play it. However you can't use full screen without paying for the full version, but why do that when there are plenty of better players out there for Windows? It works well and all you do to overcome that is move the window over the pixel.

What other players out there can play MP4 movies? I only ask because the only one I knowof is QuickTime. And yes, the lack of fullscreen is the most annoying thing about QuickTime in my opinion. It shouldn't be an option you have to pay for. Modifying and saving, sure I can understand that. But fullscreen? :rolleyes:

i just played that fullscreen with the lights off.

owww!

i have 1.8 million pixels and none are dead! yey! i damaged my screen with spray-mount instead though. it was too close to the screen aand i completly forgot about overspray.

nixgeek said:
What other players out there can play MP4 movies? I only ask because the only one I knowof is QuickTime. And yes, the lack of fullscreen is the most annoying thing about QuickTime in my opinion. It shouldn't be an option you have to pay for. Modifying and saving, sure I can understand that. But fullscreen? :rolleyes:

You are right. Apple doesn't seem to get the concept of full screen and it's usefulness. I wouldn't pay a cent for that, it is something that [almost] all programs need by default.

I have 1 dead (or "mostly dead") pixel on my display. It's only really noticeable when the area is black, so it doesn't really bother me, even though it's smack dab in the middle of my screen.

I'll give that movie a shot, but from the description it sounds like the movie would be more likely to cure LCD burn-in (or "image persistence" — whatever you want to call it) than dead pixels. LCD burn-in can (sometimes) be cured by "exercising" the affected area. Dead pixels are another beast entirely, and I don't think they can be cured by software. At least, I've never heard of it before.

Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot and report my results within a few days. I doubt it'll hurt, anyway.

As for QuickTime, there are plenty of QuickTime-compatible players out there. A lot of people don't understand that QuickTime and QuickTime Player are two very different things. QuickTime is a system-wide service, and QuickTime Player is just an application that uses that service. Any developer can very easily create a program to play movies with QuickTime.

All QuickTime Pro does is add some extra features to QuickTime Player. So if you don't want to pay for them, use a third-party player. Search MacUpdate.

That said, QuickTime Player is the most feature-rich player out there. I always use it over VLC or MPlayer whenever I can, because it's just plain better.

Back