distance afp speed max

delis

Registered
Hi,

I've enabled the file sharing to let a friend of mine to access my public folder,which i had have changed with sharepoints.
My mac is connected to internet through a modem/router, so i did some port forwarding on both 548 & 427 ports to my macs ip (i think this is the right way to achieve the connection, but if someone believe that i shouldn't, please to comment that).
I'd like to ask (this is the main question), what is the maximum speed can be achieved between the two macs (mine and my friend's). What parameters affect that connection (distance, isp's network speed)?
My broadband speed is 12Mbps (theoritically 12 - i get 4-8 usually- Mbps) and my friends 2Mbps. For a 5Mb file it takes about 2min to transfer, that means we have a speed about 384Kbps. Is that normal? How can we increase that speed?

Thanx in advance

Your download speed may be 2 MBS but upload speeds are typically much slower. 384KBS sounds about right.

Your maximum transfer speed between the two computers would be the maximum throughput speed of the slowest connection between the two computers. And it would also depend on whether he's sending you data, or copying data from you, as nealt said, because one end would be uploading while the other is downloading and vice-versa... so it would depend on one person's upload speed vs. the other's download speed.

If you can download at 2mbit and upload at 1mbit, and your friend can download at 2mbit and upload at 1mbit, then he could upload and download from you at a maximum of 1mbit (uploading to you, his connection is the bottleneck with 1mbit upload speed... downloading from you, YOUR connection is the bottleneck with your 1mbit upload speed).

Back