Distributed C++ builds?

macavenger

Registered
I know Xcode has a distributed build feature, but is there some way to get this directly for the underlying build processes without going through Xcode? Specifically, I often compile large programs using Fink, a process which often takes a number of hours to complete. Is there some way I can distribute this to my other computer? Thanks.

Thanks, that does look like it does what I want it to. However, I am having a problem with it. Specifically, after setting it up in masquerade mode as detailed in the help file, whenever I try to compile anything using either the gcc command or "make -j" I get an error saying "distcc[9642] (dcc_spawn_child) ERROR: attempt to use unknown compiler aborted: gcc" this occurs with any compiler I try to use (gcc, c++, cc, etc). Any ideas? Thanks.

Ok, managed to fix that by installing a fresh build of distcc - apparently the apple supplied build is just different enough that it only works through Xcode. Final question: how can I get distcc to play nice with Fink? The problem here is that the make command needs to be issued with the -j [#] switch, and find does not do this. Is there some configuration file for fink where I can set flags for make? Thanks again!

Back