Divx

VGZ

Registered
Does anyone know of a divx player that will work on the Mac and does not use WiMP? If there isn't one should we wait for 3ivx to be finalised?

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but are there DivX disc available out in the market ?
player as well ?? I thought MP4 was in development ;)

Admiral

I'm no expert on the subject, but as far as i know WiMP is the only player that can accept a file of that codec, even on 9. Wouldn't some quicktime support be great? good luck.

I was afraid that WiMP was the only player available but I am still hoping that there is a *NIX divx player that can be ported. Any Ideas? I may just wait on 3ivx to be finished since it works under EVERY platform.

Thanks,

Or you could help/wait on opendivx at http://www.projectmayo.com/. I think this will be much bigger then 3ivx.

Originally posted by VGZ
I was afraid that WiMP was the only player available but I am still hoping that there is a *NIX divx player that can be ported. Any Ideas? I may just wait on 3ivx to be finished since it works under EVERY platform.

Thanks,

DivX sucks since it is implemented on the non-standard Micro$oft MPEG-4 implementation.
3ivX is a great move since it is based on the standard ISO MPEG-4... Moreover, results of 3ivX are already very good, and 3ivX is fully QuickTime compatible !

Yeah but this is not true for opendivx wisch is a a whole new beast. And the source code is open wich is not true for 3ivx at the moment. We will see wich one will be the best. At the moment it looks like 3ivx has comed a longer way though.

Originally posted by hELLO wORLD
DivX sucks since it is implemented on the non-standard Micro$oft MPEG-4 implementation.
3ivX is a great move since it is based on the standard ISO MPEG-4... Moreover, results of 3ivX are already very good, and 3ivX is fully QuickTime? compatible !

FYI: you can carbonize component manager modules, they are put in /System/Library/Components

Quicktime codecs are best implemented as component manager modules.

I just want to say that, after the fiasco of the Divx discs and the overwhelming ill-will it generated among the online community, to reuse the name Divx for ANY new product - particularly anything involving digital video - is probably the worst idea I can imagine. Why not call it "Nazi Baby Mangler" or something!?!

The name Divx is permanently tainted, as far as I am concerned. Whatever the new "Divx" may be, its creators should strongly consider a name change immediately - assuming, of course, that they want it to succeed.

I agree that the name DivX is very misleading, and I've never heard anyone explain whats this means. They just picked a name, as far as I can tell it's, not an acronym. But, rest assues that the name will change, no matter what the creator says. Everyne knows that eventually this technology will go mainstream, and the public isn't going to stand for the name DivX, not because they remember that "Divx" was a failure. (Not enough people even knew about it, much less remember it) So it's my opinon that when this technology finds it way to the computers of newbie-parent computer user it will problably be called "mpeg-5". Because thats what it really is. Experts out there: is it 4 or 5? I'm not an expert myself, so if you feel the need to blow my head off because my commentary was all wrong, well then...permission granted.

Back