dmg files..

Tetano

Registered
i have five files that i have to send to my girlfriend at home, where she has a 56k internet connection, and i want to compress them to .dmg and then to .sit, in order to minimize the time that she will stay connected. is that a good choice? and, is it possible to create dmg in panther, or using Toast?

Making a compressed DMG file and then trying to compress it more with StuffIt ain't gonna do anything but keep it the same size or make it bigger. More "levels" of compression don't compress files any more than they already are -- if you make a .sit file, putting that .sit file into another .sit file doesn't make it any smaller.

Just make either a compressed DMG or a .sit file, but not both.

You can create a DMG file from a folder in Disk Utility. Launch Disk Utility, then select from the "Images" menu: "New" > "Image from Folder".

thanx... my question was due to the fact that when I download some app i found that they are dmg compressed in sit, so I thought it was useful... thanx anyway!! :)

If you choose a 'normal' dmg, you can .sit it afterwards. Or you can choose 'compressed' option while making the dmg file. Just do both and look at the file sizes. Then choose the smaller one for the disk images you have to make. I'd _guess_ that you could use StuffIt Deluxe to create smaller files (you can choose the compression level for StuffIt Deluxe files).

a dmg has a fair amount of overhead, actually - it has to include an entire file system, as well as the files on it, since it's a disk image.

If you just want to transfer some files in as little time as possible, you might be better off making a .sit or .zip directly. You can make a .zip by control-clicking on a folder containing the items, and choosing 'create archive'.

Maybe try a few options, and see which makes the smaller file...

Back