DNS Server

Bastos

Registered
Hi everybody

I'm working on a Mac OS X 2.8 and I just read those lines in the /etc/hostconfig file :
MAILSERVER=-NO-
WEBSERVER=-YES-
DNSSERVER=-NO-

The Apache Server is no surprise, I knew it was included in the X.2 and I did activated it.

But what about the DNSSERVER and the MAILSERVER??? I thought they were present on the X Server only.

So, are thoses lines for compatibility or is there a way to activate a mail server and a dns server on my X.2.8?

Bastos

Code:
##
# /etc/hostconfig
##
# This file is maintained by the system control panels
##

What are you looking to do exactly?

I'd like to make a full server with my Mac, starting with the OSX "normal" version and going to a selfmade server...

So I try to install and to start a DNS server first and then a mail server...

You'll have to configure the DNS server. By default, it only does name server caching, to help DNS lookups on the local machine be faster (i.e. only looks for names, doesn't act as a resolver for anyone else).

You can set it up to be a full time DNS server, but you really really don't want to. Not unless you have more than one machine, with more than one 'net connection. The DNS server gets hit a lot and would take up a pretty good chunk of your bandwidth.

i have a domain, a static ip on a t1, and 10.3.3 on a DP 800 quicksilver.
i would like to host my site on my mac, from the /library/webserver folder. i have my domain set to go to my Ip address. now what?

thanx

Quicksilver Dp 800 1.5 gig ram, 2 X 120 gig Hdd :D

Darkshadow said:
You can set it up to be a full time DNS server, but you really really don't want to. Not unless you have more than one machine, with more than one 'net connection. The DNS server gets hit a lot and would take up a pretty good chunk of your bandwidth.
I run my own primary DNS for about a dozen low-volume domains over a 140kb IDSL connection. (Which is as fast as I can get at my location.) Seems to work fine.

DNS typically uses UDP, which is a low-overhead protocol. In informal bandwidth tests, I see no impact on my narrow pipe due to DNS.

My ISP (speakeasy.net) handles secondary for me. That's something to look into -- most non-commercial accounts won't do that for you. (Most non-commercial lines won't even let you legally RUN a server!)

Back