Do I need a new wireless card?

littlebluebox

Registered
Hi! I've been running into problems with my internet/wifi reception lately. It has nothing to do with my network or router because other Macs and PCs function properly on it. Sometimes my Mac will randomly drop my wifi signal for no reason! I get perfect reception in the same room as the router, but beyond that the signal dissipates and eventually drops. Most days I have no problem with my internet, but it's getting to the point of annoying me and I'm frustrated because I don't know how to fix it. I have a hunch that I need a new wireless card because my macbook is several years old. Pardon if I'm completely wrong, I just want some help! Here's some info on my Mac:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.4f12
Serial Number (system): 4h6330h6vmn
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F22964EE
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.4.16.2
Current Wireless Network: LittleLambs3
Wireless Channel: 11

Thanks for looking!!

Don't Panic.

Now follow this direction:

1. Open System Preferences->Network pane and select you Airport card and turn the Airport card off!

2. Navigate to the folder /YourHardDrive/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and throw out anything with Airport or Network in the name of the preferences file. Then throw them into the Trash Can.

3. Immediately Reboot. This is important to rebuild those files in that SystemConfiguration folder.

4. Upon the reboot open System Preferences->Network pane and rejoin your wireless network.

5. If everything works you can empty the Trash Can.

Also in the System Preferences->Network pane you can use the drop-down "Location" button and select to create a new Custom Location calling it whatever you like. Then, while still in the Network pane, click on the 'Apply' button to save the new Custom Location. A Custom Location will act exactly like the 'Automatic' Location, so don't worry. IMHO OS X 'Automatic' Location is not very good.

Good Luck.

Back