do we really need post counts?

are post counts needed?

• post counts are irrelevant.

• i think post counts are important.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used to plays Tribes when I lived in a special interest floor called Computer Science House (less about computer science and more about getting access to lots of technology and freedom to explore its use... ). We'd play a lot together under /dev/... names... usually /dev/our username under the house's systems.

.lqd comes from liqwid, which is a name I went by way back in the day when I found out liquid.com was already taken... but then I never registered liqwid (or ANY domain). Liqwid shortened to lqd (because it was 31337) and then the dots appeared because I couldn't use /dev/lqd as my username on a lot of boards...

Back to the topic... like I said... we could probably do it if users could ratify posts that were relevent... like quality points or something.

I personally don't want to ask admin or his elves to implement this though... they do quite enough and have quite enough on their hands already. Like I said... it doesn't really matter. If they're irrelevent... let them be :)

we could add a "karma" like system to have other users rate your posts and build some sort of credibility that way....

take a look at the forums at www.mediadinosaur.com/boards.php ...i hacked PhpBB to do just that. I call it "The Jaded Quotient" in keeping with my sites theme.

The "karma" type system is interesting...I've never thought about that before...

I'm thinking that it's ok the way we got it here now though, everyone pretty much knows who the people are who post like crazy for no reason and those who post when they have something to say. Just in spending a few days on the boards a person should be able to figure that one out. I've never been bothered by people upping their post count, and I personally haven't seen much of it. I usually only read the threads that really peak my interest anyways...sorry if that came out the wrong way, LOL.

After all, this is just a bulletin board where we can come and hang out, while helping each other when needed. Just like in real life social circles there will be people who talk more and people who talk less, it really reflects our personalities and makes the boards as fun as they are. I've had a blast getting to know some of you through your posts and the way you interact with everyone. Interesting too, because it's something that you never really think about when you start out posting...:)

I voted that post counts matter as well, but only for the sake of how many members are actually experienced in the ways of discussion and debate, as well as not offending anyone. The karma system is interesting, but I doubt very many people would use it.. if there was some way to enforce rating a member it would be good.

The karma system could also be affected by your rating and post count; if you have a great rating and high post count your rating could impact someone a whole lot more than someone else who has a high post count but low rating, or low post count and low rating could.

That system could be implemented so that people who rated other people would be able to based on experience, not opinion.

Just my two cents. :)

guys (are they any girls ? Did they all vote at wdw_poll ),

I don't post a lot, and, as nor english neither computing are native tongues for me, I still have to think a lot before posting. May be this avoid me posting for nothing. I hope.

But I'm a scientist. So, I would bypass by my world before answering.

In my professional world, us standards academics have bring, for 20 years, a common tool to gauge notoriety, and, that's idiot, performance.

we call it bibliometrics. My job is searching, and publishing on what I've found. Most of what I've been published interest 100, sometimes 200 people around the world. It doesn't bother me. My community knows me, and it's fine like that.
So, what is bibliometrics ? It means that, the more you are quoted, the more what you say is supposed to be relevant.
In a famous book, Small world , david Lodge found an interesting way to pervert bibliometrics. One of his heroes is a swell, unknown english academic. To improve his bibliometrics gauges, he decide to write a foolish paper firing one of its most known colleague. The attend result was, of course, that the paper was fired in return, proportionately to the reputation of the target.
The swell guy became very quoted, he had his promotion...

That's silly post count.

I used to participate to a MacNN french tech site. They are all very proud of their post number. Most of all, they are proud of their title, because post number give them a status (junior, member, habit member, elite member), and also stars upon their name... Only few of them are reallyrelevant, the others post a lot in pointless forums (they have a lot of).

I prefer being here, even as an alien, never worrying about my post number.

I respect the gurus techs here because of their answers, not because of their post count. I've never take a look at the post count number of testuser or simX or twenty others, because the quality of their writing was sufficient to make me sure they were giving me a good track to solve my problem. Post number come after, like a kind of confirmation.

This community is one of the best because post doesn't really count. And because anyone can choose his own way to present himself to the others.

If hiding post number is the only way to avoid 90% of the useless post in "serious" forums, let's do it.
But a good discussion about responsibility will surely helps too.

I think they matter in some ways. I think that most people realize that it doesn't make a difference when talking to the person on here, and the people who don't show that and we can see that. Its like normal life the people who are obsessed with these kinds of things show through.

People who post about posting to get 1000 posts aren't going to have much recognition and other people will see that.

I don't really see the problem.

Originally posted by googolplex
People who post about posting to get 1000 posts aren't going to have much recognition and other people will see that.

I don't really see the problem.
The main problem I see with posting about post counts to improve your post count is the signal to noise ratio. Look at the B&G thread when there were, uh, some un-named members posting about post counts...

To be serious, I think it's kind of ironic how many times the debate about post counts have come up, especially in response to xoot's posts.

Personally, I like post count meters just because they are a relatively good gauge of how reliable a member can be, but there ARE a number of exceptions.

I think we should do something like the karma rating... something like the EV boards. But I don't know how it would work. I'd like something like that, though.

Maybe we can have an ESRB like rating for members :p

It can go from rotten tomato (bad,...really bad!) to heart of gold ;) lol :p

I nominate Admiral as the official Karma-O-Meter, he gets to judge which posts are good and which aren't!:D

everyone

but you know, the original problem has pretty much gone away - either because of this thread or because of some direct words to the offenders or both.

let's face it, there will always be people acting idioticly on the site from time to time. nothing we can do will change that. the best we can do is try to set them straight. if that doesn't work, admin seems to have no problems getting rid of the real jerks. so why don't we just do what .dev.lqd sugessted awhile back - nothing.;)

Here here to that Ed.

There should be no "good" or "bad" posts, no grammar checkers, nor spell checks. It would be a wonderful thing if people put thought into their posts, and ensured that they were well phrased as well as proofread. Unfortunately to some, that is not the case, nor do I feel it ever should be the set rule. Some of the "junk" posts are handled just as the should be. They are ignored. When a small child has a fit, and no one notices, the child realizes it gets no reaction, and thusly ends the tantrum. To have a committee for "good" and "bad" posts is to "de-characterize" the boards. After all, would you mark Hervé's posts as "bad" or "good"? Would you mark ~~NeYo~~'s posts "good" or "bad"? You really couldn't, Hervé is grasping the English language, so he's not perfect, but he certainly adds character. ~~NeYo~~ may drive those of us who pay careful attention to grammar nuts, but his posts are just as relevant as the next. To put a cap on anyone over another is to defeat the purpose of personality. It could be said that there are those who have put "junk" on these boards. I've also seen those people reprimanded. I assure you they've been reprimanded behind the scenes as well. There's no need to pull "dirty laundry" into the public all the time.

Ed's got a very valid point. There will always be those who rattle the cage, but let them. Ignore them, if it becomes too much, well, that's why moderators are here.

Don't let the little stuff get your knickers in a twist, alright?

[size=-2]**XAQ officially sneaks out of this discussion so as to avoid possible future embarrassments**[/size]

:( But I want a congrats thread when I reach 1,000..

Oh well. I hope I'll get one, at least. It would be nice. :)

Originally posted by ricky
:( But I want a congrats thread when I reach 1,000..

Oh well. I hope I'll get one, at least. It would be nice. :)
Yeah, me too. I have 987 posts right now; well I guess it's 988 now. I was looking forward to a congrats thread.

Back