do we really need post counts?

are post counts needed?

• post counts are irrelevant.

• i think post counts are important.

Results are only viewable after voting.

sithious

no longer a member
... quite honestly, i am starting to get a bit annoyed with some people posting useless stuff just to get their post counts up, talking about post counts all the time and posting stuff about post counts just to get their post counts up...

i suggest we do away with them, they're totally irrelevant anyway ... (the post counts, not the people ... :D)

what do you think?

Originally posted by earector
Hmm. Is this poll about post counts really just a ploy to get your post counts up?:D

d'oh! i saw that one coming a mile away. nope, it isn't. i'm serious. :D

btw, if you're going to vote that post counts are important, would you mind explaining why? i really don't get it, so i'd be interested in your views ... thanks. :)

Pointless waste of time (however I still like to know how much I have posted). Maybe we could remove them from everything but the user profile, if you want to see the persons post count, just click their profile button:D

ok, i voted they are irrellevant. but i am still not sure i want them done away with. they have become an arbitrary designation by which we acknowledge members contributions to the site. I would be more in favor of suspending (not permanently banishing) those people who can't seem to find anything meaningful to post about but how many posts they have.

and obviously, i have long since been recognised, so it is for the sake of others that i take this position. I also don't think certain members are going to get any recognition when they reach the magic number simply because nobody cares for their posts. it has never been about how many, but about the quality of contributions some people have made. and all good members of this site will reach that number eventually. that's because they are important regular contributors. I would agrgue that this simple recognition is just one of the things that makes this a community and not just a web site.

I feel the occasional twinge of jealousy when I see the little congrats threads... but it's nothing serious (I mean... it's a frickin' web forum).

I've been around as long a lot of the big hitters (some longer)... I just try to keep my mouth shut unless I have something to add.

Honestly I'd be fine with ditching post counts... but this is a very trivial thing.

well, i also agree with .dev's basic idea as well. there are plenty of important members of our community like him, who are not racing towards 1000 posts, who also deserve to be acknowledged. And i admire people like him who simply do what they do and don't go trying to gain some attention for the sake of attention - which is basically what some of the new speed posters appear to be doing.

on the other hand, i have to wonder how much of a part of the community have some members been, who have been registered for over a year, and have less than 100 or even 200 posts. There are more than enough people with problems for anyone to get 10-20 posts a month just directing them to other threads where the answers are. Just sitting and watching to see what happens is not really being a member of the crew.

on the other hand there are people like .dev who seem to speak volumes when they do speak - meaning they say things that make me think, or i see them working with someone to clear up a difficult tech problem. I know these people by name and not by post count. i certainly consider them my peers and often my betters. They often know far more than i do about some problem.

so i guess i am just rambling in circles at this point because i don't know the answer. but i do think this current nonsnese with pointless posting will run its course and we will be discussing some other issue before long. I also think it is up to people who have been here for awhile to lead by example and not be afraid to slap the offenders on the wrist next time they interrupt your thread with their meaningless mush and demonstration of counting ability. I think we are pretty nice people for the most part, but sometimes rudeness needs to be countered with truthfulness.

I voted irrelevant, but there is a definite upside to seeing how many times people have posted, and that's in the case of the occasional troll we get. When someone starts posting random rubbish, or flaming, and they've only got 6 posts it's a lot easier to ignore them...

Post counts are irrelevent if the contect cant be assimilated (or people are unwilling to assimilate it -- i.e. not read it).

enough borg talk, :p

Admiral

Ed Spruiell:

That's spot on. you obviously think about what you're saying before you say it. I agree with it all.

BTW, I think I've been registerred for just about a year, and it's me who stirred it all up by posting a completely pointless post in Herve's Bar & Grill', which as I understand it is the place for such nonsense, or does nonsense now have to be meaningful as to not get banned form this forum?

no, mate - not at all. Meaningless is fine. In fact, Herve's is named after the king of the meaningless post. Meaninglessness makes the world go around. The problem is posting simply to get a bigger number under your name, or posting about the number of posts.

I've been here for quite a while also. I voted yes, they are important, but only in a limited context. Having a post count up until about 50, and then a transition to full "member" status would be nice. At the time, post count would dissapear.

The only reason I ever feel the need to look up a post count is to see whether or not a person is new, or a lurker.

I'm not sure if VBullitin could do this, but i think purtting everyone on the same playing field after 50 posts is a very proposition.;)

bookem - i think you give yourself far too much credit here. :p it was not your post that is the topic of debate here. in fact no single post by anyone would qualify. I think Tismey's explanation of the value of so called meaningless or pointless posts pretty much covered it. It is the obsession with counting posts as material for posting that is the issue. I would rather see Herve's B&G have only one post per day and that post was completely random and based upon no other post, than to see it filled with 30 posts of people counting what number post they are on.

Of course i must take some responsibility for all of this. It was I who created the entire concept of a congrats thread - never dreaming it would escalate in any way, much less to this.:eek: Even then it wasn't i who first noticed the Admiral's post count, it was Alexandert in a tech thread. I just took his joking about it and ran with it. I was so new to the site that the thread was originally in this forum and Admin let us quietly remain here for a couple of months. Few people saw it or cared. Then the big reorganization around the time of MWSF, put the thread where it really belonged and the rest is history.:D

btw bookem - thanks for the kind words about my post. nice to get that kind of feedback every now and then:)

lol :p
Ed had the congrats thread in teh site news:p
After the reorganization (before the BIG---or even teh small bar and grille) hehe. Too many congrats threads, and the name is basically kinda misleading cause if anyone read the thread they know that we just talk candidly in there, just like in the B&G....except we named it the Admiral and Ed show :p

I really think that having post counts is somewhat irrelevant. Rather, we should have a little thing in its place that go's from "junior member"(0-50) and then member, and senior member, etc. But the post count should be in the user profile if people really want to see it.

BTW, How's my avatar?

The real issue is that we'd like some way to quantify seniority and contribution... which isn't something that can automatically be done without it becoming very tiresome or exceedingly academic.

In the end... perhaps some system involving user interaction to ratify/validate posts as valid/good or something like that would work... but I doubt anyone finds the issue worth the effort to implement something like that.

What I could do with is people being less dimwitted about what they post in the name of their post-count. This -could- be remedied by simply getting rid of it...

So-- we expend a lot of effort to reimplement some kind of accumulated seniority status, expend a little effort to get rid of a bother, or expend no effort and say to hell with it :)

(I personally favor the third)

I think that they are relevant. Except for maybe 50 posts of mine, some of them have been very significant!

They should be kept...

It's just sad that people like xoot and others have to turn it into a game... that ruins the whole purpose...

actually, until xoot started his crazy posts, i didn't really think about them much...

sorry to put the burden on you xoot, but you're the main person i think of..

DON'T ABUSE YOUR POST COUNT PEOPLE!

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
I think that they are relevant. Except for maybe 50 posts of mine, some of them have been very significant!
But how does the number of posts reflect the quality of your posts? The answer: it doesn't. At all.

I agree with .dev.lqd (BTW, did you post on the origins of your name, .dev.lqd?). We need an arbitrary "Quality-O-Meter™".

I meant that in saying that some people have huge post counts but have put forth little effort to their contribution here...

Oh well, I still think that they are relevant, but please don't go overboard and try to think because you have a huge post count that you are superior in one way or another.

Back