Do you believe in aliens?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe/Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

JohnnyV

Registered
Yes/No/Undecided

Just wondering what you believe...are there other worldly creatures out there? Are they watching us?

I can't imagine that, in all the billions of galaxies in the Universe, in all the billions of years all those quadrillions of metric tons of matter have been spinning and coalescing, there is no other location of intelligent life, or even life at all, than the Earth. If not, it's an awful waste of space (to paraphrase Contact).

Amen my brothers, just look at the results of the NASA Deep Space Field(You do your own google research) There's somthing in the region of trillions upon trillions of stars and possible solar orbits and planets out there. We are no alone, take conciliation in that. The vast multi-million light year distances are not able to be transversed by any means we now know(albiet multi-dimensiional-space-fold). give it time my brothers, unfortunately. we will all be dead, but contact will happen some day.

Look into the meaning of Spinoza, and Spinoza's God, the Dutch philosopher that gave birth to this idea.

I voted yes. I've seen a UFO. It was a few years ago. I went outside and looked up and saw something up in the sky. I could tell it was very big, very, very high up and not moving at all. I looked a for a minute and then went back inside to get my mom. She was buy, so I went back outside and it was gone...or was it *bum bum buuuuum*

Didn't they already discover life in space? I thought I heard about scientists finding a red fungus growing on the outside of the MIR space station.

Perhaps the thread should have been named "Do you believe in extraterestrial life?" While I'm confident it's out there (bacterial, fungal, algael, or other), I don't believe there are any local "aliens" in the vicinity of Earth. If such a race of aliens were found to exist (bipeds like ourselves, two eyes, two ears, two arms, two legs, etc...), then they likely originated here on Earth and for whatever reason left the Earth, a pre-Adamic race so to speak. I would liken this to the children/young leaving the nest and exploring the world/universe on their own.

I am an alien, have to register at the immigration department here in Egypt every 12 months...

Life? absolutely - intelligent life? absolutely, hey even slugs display some sort of intelligence - Human or humanoid? not in this galaxy, least not till we get there.

The Contact like projects have been listening for what 60 years now, with no results (that is they haven't found any kind of repeating patterned frequency at all)

60 light years and no-one has heard of Elvis :D

Supposedly a few candidate signals were captured by SETI and the US government granted SETI 24 hours of time at Aericebo (sp?) to investigate them further. I recall reading this about a month ago. I don't know when the time was granted or even if the investigation is complete.

One thing to consider when looking for "alien" civilizations is that electromagnetic radiation loses energy rather quickly as it propagates through space, and more importantly there will be interference from other radiation sources. Detecting a signal from a galaxy viewed through the Hubble Space Telescope is like trying to detect any electromagnetic information about an atom on the other side of the Earth, it's impossible simply because of the faintness of the signal, distance, and interference from other sources. The laws of physics can't be broken.

To get an idea of the relative size of the solar system on a human-scale, go here:

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/17/218243&mode=thread&tid=134&tid=160

and here:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/state/030617solar.shtml

Enjoy!

I answered 'no' because what does not come from my planet I don't call an alien but a 'distant neighbour' :p

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
To get an idea of the relative size of the solar system on a human-scale, go here:

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/17/218243&mode=thread&tid=134&tid=160

and here:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/state/030617solar.shtml

Enjoy!

40 miles, that beats the one we just finished in my school, 40 meters. We used two scales, one for planets and one for orbits, but the plan is to do a single scale model next year.

Another site to check out is the Sagan Planet Walk in Ithaca NY...

www.sciencenter.org/SaganPW/

the site will help anyone thinking about making a model.

I think that they may be alien life forms.

Will we considere these life forms as "alien" in the regular sense ????

Do aliens from another planet need a green card to live in the United States?

Or would it blend with their skin too easily?

Toast, if you came to visit me, I would call you an alien.

Do I believe that aliens have visited Earth? Maybe...but not likely. Do I beileve that there are other living organisms in the universe? Of course there is. If Earth is the only planet with life, that's an sad waste of 'space'. :)

- G!mpy

I look up into the night sky and stair at the stars....and stair...and wonder what is truly out there...it blows my mind...trying to think of the vastness of space. I would love to explore space, and I dont mean our solar system, I mean Waay the hell out there......*sigh*....

Toast: Again? When have we met in the first place?

Stridder: So you "stair" at the stars; do you wish you could take a "stareway" to heaven?

Back