Do you believe in aliens?

Do you believe in aliens?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe/Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aliens have been here, and still are here, don't be fooled by the limits of conventional science. I doubt the believabilty of most contacts, but 'aliens', through methods that we cannot collate with our ultra-immature brains have been here, seen us, study us, and still are here right now, may even be living among us. It is way too arrogant to assume otherwise.

We are just begining to touch technology - macine, organic, and otherwise. Alien races out there have had thousands, sometimes hundres of thousands of years embracing technology of all shape.

Fifty thousand years ago a supernova destroyed a planetary system that had inteligent life on it, developing technologically for maybe 200,000 years. They had to build massive ships - like Noah's arcs - that would send them across the millenia of time to eventaully find a new habitable planet. So on...

I've said it before, these signals, these patterns that SETI is looking for are long gone. They cannot survive these vast multi-million light year expanses in space to get picked up by alien beacons and recievers.

To deny aliens existing is like when they told Columbus the Earth was flat.

MD: What, does the concept of aliens conflict with your Christian ideology? Okay, I'm sorry, I shouldn't bring up another thread.

habilis: Extra-terrestrials may be out there, somewhere, but that does not mean in any way that they have visited the earth or are still here. What would they want with us anyway?

Toast: Which expo, in that case? MWNY (yeah, like I'm going to New York this summer!)? MWSF (possible, but it's in January)?

Originally posted by arden
MD: What, does the concept of aliens conflict with your Christian ideology? Okay, I'm sorry, I shouldn't bring up another thread.
Yes. Yes it does! :)

The belief in aliens is pretty much linked to the theory of evolution, which I don't believe in.

Kinda funny... some of you claim that I take a "leap of faith" to believe what I do, but you folks who vote "yes" seem to be taking the leap...

But anyway, enough Cafe time for me - I wanna get into the Mac side of MacOSX.com!

Um...how does the belief in aliens tie in with evolution? That doesn't jive to me.

And read your bible again. There's actually hints in there about other worlds. ;)

Originally posted by wdw_

Didn't they already discover life in space? I thought I heard about scientists finding a red fungus growing on the outside of the MIR space station.

That fungus grew inside the MIR was real but not alien. Here's the "straight dope" from Cecil Adams:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010713.html

And the question "Do You Believe in Aliens" should be broken down into three questions: a) Do you believe there is life elsewhere? b) Do you believe there is "intelligent" (open to interpretation) life elsewhere and c) Are we being "visited" by alien life (i.e. UFOs.)

My feeling: a) Definitely. b) Probably. c) Unlikely.

I agrre with Larry with
a) most probably
b) it's possible
c) very, very unlikely

We still miss a good definition of "life". Even on earth, some forms are between mineral and life... so how will we decide that when it's alien ?

Back