Do you play an instrument?

How do you create music?

• Electric String (classical, bass, etc.)

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Percussion (drums, steel or otherwise)

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Wind (flute, clarinet, oboe, etc.)

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Shamisen, sitar, mandolin, etc.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Digital resampling/DJ-ing

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Voice

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Whatever's lying around!

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Keyboard (piano, synth, etc.)

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gwailo

B.A. Economics (Hon)
Wondering what instruments people play around here.

I'm a bassist (that is, electric bass guitar).

For the sake of this poll, I'm not going to start a debate over whether resampling is creating music, and put it in also.

I used to play the Clarinet, but now i'm sure I forgot how.

But I still have my voice and my iBook! :D

I taught myself guitar and I play drums in a band. I also like to sing. I'm a triple threat!:D

I played Clarinet and Baritone in Band at school. And at home I play with my 6 string guitar and 4 string bass.

I play drums and also do a little DJing and producing. I use Protools, Logic audio, Reason and a few other apps.

Im a bit slack on practicing now that i can record my bad playing into my mac and chop them up in protools :) Oh and resampling is definitely creating music ... exclude hiphop at your own peril.

Luke Tomes

Um.... how about piano?!

Needless to say, I play it. :p But you forgot it in your poll. I *guess* you could call it a string instrument, but I would classify it in its own category.

I voted for re-sampling.
If by that you mean the fine art of producing original music on a digital audio workstation, possibly using sampled sounds. :D

Warwick Streamer LX 5-string (bass), and an old Yamaha RGX 612s (guitar) when I cannot find someone who can actually play guitar.

Stomp boxes and custom pre-amps being IMHO a part of "extended instrument", I count in the soldering iron used to build/modify them--because, there are some things you cannot do in digital domain :)

I was going to make a thread just like this one, but I thought there might already be one, and lo and behold! I think it's time to bring this back into the "New threads" results.

I play drums. I also write music in Melody Assistant, which someday I will record. I did not vote for resampling, however, because that is not the point of what I do in Melody.

I do think the options are lacking in several categories, too, though.

I was a music major in college, so I pretty much had to learn it all. I've taught band in a private school for 8 years, but my major was voice.

I'm currently learning to play guitar. I'm hoping to go put a down payment on a guitar tomorrow that I've had my eye on.

My wife is a concert pianist, so even though I can play a little, I never do when she's around.

Thanks for bringing this thread back around arden.

you ought to put piano in the poll... lots of musicians play it, and it's not really defined above. technically the piano is a percussion insturment ( hammer hits the string and string resonates... ) so thats what i voted for. ive always wanted to try guitar but only have a warped old acoustic that won't hold its tune :(
any tips on learning guitar method? basic stuff like chords and plucking

I don't have any tips since I'm just starting. I guess the only thing I would suggest is get someone to help you. I have a friend that is teaching me. Otherwise, I would look into lessons. Nothing can beat having someone looking over your shoulder helping you each step of the way.

Back