Do you use DVD?

Do you use DVD Player?

• I can't live with out a DVD ROM and DVD Player

• I have a DVD ROM but never watch movies

• I wish I had a DVD ROM drive

• I don't have one and I don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sheesh, portability for playing DVDs on a computer is not the ONLY thing going for it.

Think about it.. let's see... say I just plunked down ?$2500 for a low-end G4 with a DVD-ROM drive and a 17" studio display to do some graphics work with the big display. I have a DVD-ROM drive, so I say, "Hmm... DVD.. that means Digital Video Disc. I wonder if that DVD abbreviation is the same thing that the DVD at video stores mean? I think it does! I think I'll try it instead of PLUNKING DOWN ANOTHER COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR A DVD PLAYER AND A TV MONITOR."

Forgive me for being a little curt, but it's a little blind-sighted to say portability is the only reason for playing DVDs on a computer. Seriously, I would rather plunk that couple hundred dollars on a CD burner, or some more RAM, or a printer, or a scanner, or something else for my computer. The point is, the computer is becoming the digital hub, like Apple is saying. And it truly is... we can do almost anything with a computer now decently.. play audio CDs, play DVDs, play games, use productivity software, do graphics, etc.

So whe the HELL should I plunk down another couple hundred dollars for something that doesn't do NEARLY as many things and does that one thing only a little bit better (seriously, the graphics between a computer screen and a TV screen are not that much different... it just depends on the size of the display)?

I would never go out and buy a DVD player, simply because I can do it on my computer in OS X! I can sacrifice a few inches of screen size, and I can soup up my chair so that it is comfortable to sit in while I'm watching the DVD on the computer.

Seriously, give things a little thought before you go flaming them.

I dont know about u guys but I have a comfortable chair in front of my computer.
Whne I watcha DVD I just recline it and put my feet on the desk :p

I have a fair few dvd's so its great that my macs got the dvd. Put on a dvd and have it in the top corner of the monitor while im web browsing of emailing or avoiding work etc etc.

The Player in 10.1 is really good, alot better than the one in 9

I do have a dvd player on my TV, and to be honest I think if someone is after a dvd solution you cant go past the dvd player for your tellie. it does not need to boot and it just works. Simple and effective, but I would allways buy a computer with dvd just for the reason that I dont have a tv in my room so if i want to watch a dvd i can. I recently brougth a Hitachi 19inch screen which is really nice for movies, I have a stereo on my computer so im set.

Yup, I watch them...usually in a smaller window while i'm surfing. More than that I usually watch TV via a usb tuner, but that will have to wait till eskape releases OS X drivers for their TV tuner.

In short....I DO watch DVD on my iMac(granted if it's a really good movie it goes straight to the home entertainment center)

I also agree that the 10.1 DVD player is great.....super improvement over the OS 9 one. I can now drag the window, change volume or click on something else without the movie lagging.

I can't sleep sometimes and don't want to wake my wife by turning on the light to read or tv to watch, so I pull out my Ti with dvd, plug in some head phones and watch until I get tired, I love DVD on mac!

I spend most of my time on my computer, which just happens to be in my bed room. For me I couldn't live without DVD on my computer. I only have a 13" TV, since I never watch TV, but a 19" monitor since it was affordable. The monitor's great for watching almost anything on. Can lay down in bed a still read the subtitles, unlike on my TV, plus my computer has a nicer sound system. Either soundsticks, or my H/K 100+ Quad amp system. I just couldn't live without it now.

If I owned a ibook or tibook I would want one to watch movies on the road, but as it is I have only imacs and g3 towers. I would rather my friends and I watch my DVDs on my TV and DVD player hooked into my surround sound stereo system than huddle around the small computer screen.

For group watching a TV is probably better (unless you have a computer with a projector hooked up to it :p)

For one person DVD viewing a 19" is cool enough.
I have a 15" (I think) and I have pluged my mac into my stereo which is next to me, so its somewhat souround sound, with a comfy reclining chair :p lol

so each thing has its purpose.

Back