Dock Arrows Don't Grow or Shrink

iAustin

Registered
Hi everyone, long-time Mac user, first time poster. I recently upgraded to Leopard on my Macbook Pro, 15-inch with 2.33 GHz processor, and I've noticed an issue with the dock's arrows.

They don't grow with the rest of the Dock. Normally I wouldn't care about such a cosmetic issue, but seeing as I just upgraded last week, I want to be sure the installation didn't have any problems. You know, the big problems that only manifest themselves in little things like this for a few months and them BOOM! there's a crater on my desk where my computer used to be. Well, I like my computer, and I don't want it to explode, so I would appreciate all the help you are willing to give me.

Here's what it looks like when resting. Notice how it seems fine?
normal177.png

And here it is when I hover the cursor over iTunes. The arrows have not grown.
warped837.png

Note: this is *not* caused by the fact that I changed the icons from the blue light back to black arrows. I use CandyBar for a few icon replacements, but I made the Dock arrow switch manually, by going into ~/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources, backing up the original files, and replacing them. Beyond that, I noticed the problem existed *before* I made the change.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

I'm still running 10.4.11 and the black arrows don't change size. I don't think they do/did, unless it was on Panther or earlier.

Ditto. I've got 10.4.11 as well. The arrows stay the same whether using magnification or not. Everything else grows, arrows remain the same. They are simply an indication whether a program is on or not ... should provide that info. at a glance even at small size.

This is a Leopard-only issue. I'm well aware that Tiger and older versions of OS X do not have growing dock arrows, but Leopard does. That's why there are three dock arrow files in Dock.app/Contents/Resources. Here is the site where I downloaded the new icons, there is an interesting quote as to why there are three icons that need to be replaced:

Why three of them? You will notice later that, unlike in previous versions of OS X, the size of the indicator in Leopard changes as you resize the Dock.

I know what the purpose of the dock arrows are, and I don't really mind them not growing, I'm just looking for any problems with my recent installation.

The dock arrows are because of a HACK. Go to the hack manufacture and report the bug.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. My copy of Leopard is totally legal, and I don't think replacing three image files constitutes hacking. Am I missing something?

Candy Bar changes a System image file. So the EULA even says say use at your own risk and they are not responsible for problems. On two different non Candy Bar hacked 10.5.1's (PPC & Intel) I don't have this problem.

When a program change the image display is a change not an Apple change but a third party change from standard operation. So if you change the file then create a new test users you should get the standard blue dots (in Leopard).

Yep, your installed Dock-hack probably replaces the light-dots with arrows intended for 10.4.x and earlier.

Back