Dock Location & iPod Polls

Do you prefer you Dock Hidden or Shown?

• Shown by default

• Hidden by default

Results are only viewable after voting.

GadgetLover

Senior Member & Tech Guru
So, do prefer your Dock on the LEFT, BOTTOM, or RIGHT?

Do you prefer it hidden or shown?

And do you think the new iPod is GREAT, OK, or PATHETIC?

I like it shown but hide it on my iBook because the dock takes up to much of the screan on that.

I like my Dock on the bottom.

I like the iPod compare it to other Mp3 Players it is a good one even for its price and I will get one.

I like my dock fully visible at the bottom :) I think the iPod is great, I think the iPod price is poor.

yeah. 400 clams is WAY too much. Gee will i want to buy about half an iMac or an mp3 player? let me guess...

Originally posted by wyvern
Gee will i want to buy about half an iMac or an mp3 player?

How about 1/3 of an iBook?

If apple charges $400 for the mp3 player, I don't WANT the PDA, cause that will cost like $800.

I doubt Apple breaks 100k/sales on this item.

FaRuvius

Oh okay. Apple has done it again. And all the poor, poor customers are raving mad shouting 'aaah, it's too expensive!!'. Get a life. Some cars are expensive, too! And they're cool anyway. :)

Let Apple live a little. They have made a great product - I hear no-one really saying that the iPod itself isn't cool - and they made their books on it. They want to have 399$ for it: They shall have it. Maybe all those complaining wieners are just not in the consumer segment Apple aims at? I for one *am* in that segment. Not that I'm rich, I'm not. But I *do* spend my money on phantastically expensive electronic gadgets. I bought a Palm m505 because it's the coolest PDA around. Do I really need it? What the heck should *THAT* question mean? It's a PDA, a PersonalDizzinessAdministrator. It's something to have around to tell people you're a digital nomad, a freak that goes for electronic gadgets! So what about the iPod? Its name sucks, it really does. But the gadget rocks, doesn't it. And before I buy something stupid like a player with 64M of memory, I'll buy an MD player by Sony or the Apple iPod. High End rocks. Low End sucks. That's how life is. If I could afford a Ferrari, I would. I can't, so I don't.

In half a year my TiBook won't be worth bragging about, it's already out of date. But hell! If we really start thinking about prices: Does ANYone need an MP3 player priced at 199$? 299$?! Nope. If you need music while walking, hum a merry tune.

Yes, ladies, rant away. :)

I completely agree with you if you think about it all you need is a job at Burger King and a closet to sleep in that is all you really need.

i am seriouse by the way.

It's about demand my dear watson!
If there is demand, apple will charge these prices, if no, prices will drop.

I personally dont have the need for such a device.
what I need is a device to suck MP3s from my friends computers. The iPod would do this but my friends dont have firewire (damn PC users :p)

Admiral

it's getting a little off topic, though. But of course you're absolutely right (and serious). We never really need that much. We're all part of a world full of money and ways to consume by paying. We always want it all and for free. Like a friend of mine always says: "Free sex for free. Anyone?" :p ... Well. That was my point, wasn't it. If you *need* this machine, get it. At the price it's tagged with. Else you plain don't need it.

As Denis Leary would put it: "We're addicts, for chrisssssakes!"

Dock: Bottom, no question. Though I haven't been in X much due to its totally lackluster software library (and don't even think of mentioning "Classic" to me with a straight face. In a real production environment, Classic has way too many flaws.), so I may change my opinion about position when X gets the apps I need.

iPod: At best, it's an OK product. Nobody NEEDS this product. From a pure technical perspective, any variety of MP3 players wil do just fine and be much cheaper. As for the harddrive duality, money could be better spent for a much larger drive that is also much cheaper. Granted, Apple has both of those things wrapped into one tiny package and that's all well and good, but again, who NEEDS this? Even at half the price, I have no use for it. Other people are obviously into the whole MP3 thing, so there must be some audience for it. I guess I just never listen to MP3s on the run, I'm either in the car or at home, so to me it's useless.

I predict the same fate as the Cube.

There are probably few people more fanatical about music and MP3 than I, I have about 6000 MP3s and the collection is growing, and I do not need this device ;)

Dock: At the bottom. Eyes have a natural tendency to have a "landscaped" view and find moving that way more comfortable -- a la "widescreen" movies. The first time I put my dock to the left or the right, I felt dizzy. Weird feeling. It just didn't work for me. Bottom's easier for me -- eyes scan left to right, and it's a natual feeling. Hidden, too... with magnification turned on a little... not extreme.

iPod: Awesome. Yes, expensive, but everyone here is sitting in front of an Apple Macintosh computer that they paid a premium for. Apple's machines have ALWAYS been on the steep side, but you pay for what you get. You paid a premium for the machine you're in front of now, or SHOULD be in front of if you're on this board. Fantastic features. I was disappointed at first glance when I thought it was just another MP3 player. But it's not. Go read about it and think about all the cool stuff it's got packed into a deck-of-cards-sized package. Simply phenomenal. Apple did what many other companies tried to do right the first time.

Dock: I like it on the left and visible. Though bouncing icons don't make any sense, but I get more vertical room on my 800x600 ibook screen.

iPod: Cool! I'm not sure it is too expensive. Many manufacturers don't pay much attention to details. If you noticed the Neodymium magnet earphones, they alone can cost about $100 a pair I think. But I'd like to be able to opt out of that as I already spent thrice that estimate on a sexy crystal clear Sennheiser headphone set.

Left side for me. I don't use icons on my desktop in Mac OS X, so it is nice to have the Finder icon in about the same place as the hard drive would normally be (I also pin at the start) and having the trash in almost the same place. Also having it on the side gives you more vertical room to work with. As for why the left, most windows (in most apps) start at the top right corner. It is why I never understood the MS way of having icons on the right side... you open an app, you can't see the icons any more (I alway move all my windows icon to the far right side).

I don't know about the iPod, I personally don't have a use for it, but anything that helps promote mp3 over Windows Media format is welcome to me. If Microsoft could get rid of all other operating systems (except the Mac OS) they would. I don't know if you can use iPod with other operating systems, but dropping the price and making it work with any OS that can't work with Windows Media player would be the best way to market it. And getting it to work with car stereos would be a big plus also (burning a ton of CDs would be a thing of the past).

Originally posted by RacerX
Left side for me. I don't use icons on my desktop in Mac OS X, so it is nice to have the Finder icon in about the same place as the hard drive would normally be (I also pin at the start) and having the trash in almost the same place. Also having it on the side gives you more vertical room to work with. As for why the left, most windows (in most apps) start at the top right corner. It is why I never understood the MS way of having icons on the right side... you open an app, you can't see the icons any more (I alway move all my windows icon to the far right side).

Thanks for the viewpoints and voting folks. Interesting opinions.

... as for RacerX, is it just me or are you perhaps Dyslexic? You keep saying that you like your Dock on the LEFT because of hard drive and trash icons usually go there -- but in my world, these icons are on the RIGHT side; you also state that MS has icons on RIGHT side -- again, in my world MS places all of its icons on the LEFT side. So, I will just assume that you are looking in a mirror, this way I can agree with you -- because I, too, place my dock (visible) on the RIGHT side so (a) I have more vertical room on my PowerBook and (b) because its trash can location and finder icon match OS 9's. :)

I think that why you shouldn't post after long days, as Willy Wonka would say:

Strike that! Reverse it... lets move on, shall we.

(I do better with non-ring finger and ring finger sides)

:D

Back