Dock Problems

bkjpen

Registered
I can no longer remove items from the dock by just dragging to the desktop. I've seen some suggestions to check the parental controls but I have not activated the parental controls so that does not appear to be the problem. This is a brand new computer and was working fine but approx. 3 days later the dragging from the dock stopped working.

Any ideas?
Frustrated new Mac user

Yes, I had tried to shut down and restart but that didn't seem to correct the problem. Thanks for the idea but any other ideas?

Yes, I had tried to shut down and restart but that didn't seem to correct the problem. Thanks for the idea but any other ideas?

So what exactly happens when you try to move things off the dock? Do you see any change in the mouse cursor, get an error?

when dragging to the desktop from the dock, it doesn't do anything when I release it; it just brings the file/application back to the dock. No poof.

The only way I can get it off the dock is to open the file and 'x out of it'.

Wait, an application that is running, that is the only way to get it out of the dock. Are you talking about running applications or applications you've put in your dock that are closed?

Actually I'm talking about both. So for instance I have iCal on there which I never use and I want it off the dock. So I click it and drag to the desktop where it should 'poof' but it just brings it back to the dock.

Then I have my son who loves to play with the notes section and he puts the ongoing note on the dock and I want to take it off by dragging it off and it keeps coming back to the dock.

Actually I'm talking about both. So for instance I have iCal on there which I never use and I want it off the dock. So I click it and drag to the desktop where it should 'poof' but it just brings it back to the dock.

Then I have my son who loves to play with the notes section and he puts the ongoing note on the dock and I want to take it off by dragging it off and it keeps coming back to the dock.

It kind of sounds like the app is running when you are dragging it, in which case you'll need to exit the app. The only way to keep the app from being in the dock when its running is to right click on the running app icon in the dock and tell it to hide that app.

Back