Dock to FireWire 400

bobw

The Late: SuperMacMod
Griffin Technologies Dock to FireWire 400
FireWire connection for your iPod

The Dock400 FireWire cable allows you to connect your iPod to a Mac or PC's Firewire port, for charging and file transfers.

Apple's newest offerings of the iPod photo and iPod mini have added features, but omitted a FireWire cable.

The Dock400 cable is 48" long, uses Apple-approved connectors, and is built with the quality that users have come to expect from Griffin. It can be used with Apple's iPod dock, or plugged directly into the iPod.

Now your iPod can also be in charge, and in Sync, like you.

$17.98

Nope, just USB.
iPod 20GB is listed with both USB and Firewire cable.
iPod 4GB and 6GB with USB cable.
iPod Photo 30GB and 60GB with USB cable.

it makes sense, since most iPod users use USB2 to connect their iPods to their computers rather than FireWire (there are far more PC-iPod users than there are Mac-iPod users). At my university campus, it seems like one in four people have iPods -- and out of the 20 or so that I've met, only one other has a Macintosh computer.

But, of course, since Apple pioneered FireWire, it seems like a backward step to omit a FireWire cable. Glad I got my 60GB photo when all the goodies were still included -- I got to explore every little option the iPod had to offer (FireWire and USB connectivity, video- and audio-out, belt clip holster [which I still use], and of course, the dock).

im a bit disappointed it's not included. but you can still buy the cable so it isn't as much of a hassle as if it didn't have one. i have a lot more free firewire ports than usb ports, so i'd probably leave the ipod dock on my desk plugged into the monitor's firewire port if i had one..

yea, i know its bull that apple got rid of the Firewire cable for the new iPods, i use my firewire cable for my PC and use my USB2 for my Laptop, when i want to use the iPod as a hard drive. :D

it does seem like a dumb move on apple getting rid of the Firewire connection, but more and more people are using USB2 now instead, for instance, i have 3 Flash Drives and a SM Reader all USB, there aren't that many devices (other than hard drives) that use firewire...

IMHO I feel like it is giving in to windows users. I say because what about a Mac user with a 2 years or older Mac? Then a transfer will only work with USB 1.

Yes, nut for the price reduction they have to eliminate something... and the firewire cable is one of the things you might consider not so necessary... they still give the USB cable, so you can still connect your iPod... if you need a Firewire cable, well, i think that 17.98$ is not an impossible amount...

Back