Does a non-photo 20GB 4G iPod support 30GB?

earthsaver

Ben R.
I have a 4G iPod (non-photo) that came with a 20GB hard disk. I just upgraded it to a 30GB but iTunes and the Finder are still only recognizing 20GB. The 3G iPod was available with 30GB and the 4G went up to 40GB before photo came along. Anyone know?

How, exactly, did you upgrade the hard drive? I mean, obviously, you installed a new hard drive -- what after that? Did you "clone" the contents of the old hard drive to the new one? Did you use iTunes to perform a "restore" on the freshly-installed hard drive?

I followed iFixit's instructions. I don't have the tools to connect a bare 1.8" hard disk so I restored the new one with iTunes. After doing so, iTunes sees only 18.6GB capacity (as of a 20GB hard disk) and the Finder sees 20GB (because it's a winter kitty), but not 30GB. The hard disk is Toshiba's MK3006GAL, replacing the MK2004GAL.

I started in diagnostic mode and checked the hard disk capacity: the iPod reads it at 28GB. Okay, Disk Utility also sees a 30GB disk but only a 20GB partition, so the problem is somewhere in iTunes. Disk Utility failed to expand the partition or even erase the disk, so I restored it again and now all is well.

Back