Does anyone else have this problem?

cockneygeezer

Registered
Dear Mac Users,

I have been using 10.2 since release and I upgraded to 10.2.1 the other week. Since using 10.2, my Finder keeps crashing, and it's turning into a daily occurance. Is anyone else having this problem or have I somehow mess up my system folder?

It mainly happens when I copy files from one place to another, either on the hard disk or over a LAN Network. Also, I have File Info displayed on, and when I change to list view, the Finder crashes, sometimes, the whole machine.

Anyone else?

<Spec in sig>

10.2.1 has been extremely stable for me. Have you tried booting into single user mode and running fsck -y?

To boot into single user mode, hold cnd-s while booting, run fsck -y over and over until you do not get a message stating that the file system was modified.

Did you do an "upgrade install?" I did initially, and it gave me MANY problems with the finder, especially when trying to copy files. I eventually reformatted and did a clean install and the problems vanished.

Dear All,

Yes, I did do a *clean* install of 10.2, always do when there is a major upgrade.
I don't know about Single User mode, never heard of that one.

It seems to me that I have to spend yet another 3 hours, reformatting and reinstalling.

It all went pear shaped when I started to play with Duality and ThemeSwitcher etc, seems that I have learnt my leason...? :rolleyes:

Cheers anyway.

Ah, yes, hacks to the system can produce some VERY unexpected results, especially when the system is so new and has changed so much from the previous version.

I found that the "appearance" hacks are the worst -- er, well, they produce the most unexpected and damaging results. Anyways, I try to stay away from those things. My vanilla system looks great as it is, and I find no need to go messing around with hacks and what-not to try and make it look different. Now, if I had TWO machines to play with, hehe... that second machine would be loaded to the gills with every cool hack I could find, but I would always leave one system pretty much stock so that I can get work done without the fear of crashing.

Back