Does iTunes 7 work on G4 400 mhz?

Durbrow

Registered
Has anyone gotten iTunes 7 to work well on a g4 400 mhz? On my TiBook there seems to be a problem refreshing the screen when one switches from various views (e.g. Music Store, Library, Podcasts, etc). I have 1 GB RAM and about 2 GB of hard disk space. Thanks for any advice/response.

To add to my query: the technical requirements for iTunes 7 is a G3 running at 500 mhz or better. Anyone running at 400 mhz?

With all the graphics used in iTunes 7, I'm amazed it works well on my iBook (see sig). I wouldn't expect much on a 400 MHz.

it works fine on my 466 tower, but i do have a geforce 2 vid card, which is what i think your problem is, not enough video power.

I'd also suspect its the video card, not the CPU or memory, that is at fault. Hopefully its not too much of a worry for you: sometimes you have to run things that have "System Requirements" higher that what you're working with, if you can get away with it, no worries.

iTunes 7 is very heavy on the video effects, so that could be your problem. See the system reqs:

Macintosh Requirements

Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later
500MHz G3 processor or better
QuickTime 6.5.2 or later
256MB RAM
Combo/Super Drive to burn CDs
Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music
Nike + iPod Sport Kit requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later

Additional Video Requirements

Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later
1 GHz G4 processor or better
QuickTime 7.1.3 or later
16MB video RAM

not that i know of.

btw, let me know when you are ready to part with the tibook, i've been looking for a cheap g4 based book

Well, all of iTunes 7's fancy effects are very avoidable. I don't use their album cover view at all, and doubt I ever will.

That said, even performance of normal things like scrolling seems worse in 7 than it did in 6. Scrolling performance goes up and down with iTunes all the time for some reason.

Back