Does THIS erase my hard drive?

Wow...you are quite new to this.

By "illegal download" I mean a piece of software that would normally have to be purchased being downloaded from the internet (or acquired other ways) without purchasing it. Downloading pirated software (software that is commercial and you ahve to pay for that has been cracked and illegally provided for you freely) is illegal and can get you fined (or jailed) if you are found out.

...but a large and powerful magnet only rearranges the bits and corrupts them. If you use the magnet long enough, I'll bet the bits will corrupt so badly the iBook might boot into Windows...[/facetiousness]

;)

ElDiabloConCaca said:
...but a large and powerful magnet only rearranges the bits and corrupts them. If you use the magnet long enough, I'll bet the bits will corrupt so badly the iBook might boot into Windows...[/facetiousness]

;)

::ha:: ::ha:: ::ha:: ::ha:: ::ha::

No, it just interferes with the magnetic properties of the actual disk platters -- it "rearranges" and "scrambles" the bits, which is different from erasing.

If you want a true, good erase, use the "Secure Erase" function of Mac OS X. You must boot from the CD/DVD to use this, as, common sense dictates, you cannot erase a drive you currently are booted from. This kind of erase takes some time (many hours sometimes), as it overwrites the data on the entire disk several times with garbage data, making data recovery next to impossible.

mickeyboicky said:
When I open my ibook and the flashing finder icon along with a gray screen comes up, is that deleting my HD? Sorry I had to make a new thread but I think the other one was dying..

The flashing icon can mean many things, including:

1. a dead hard disk
2. a PRAM or NVRAM issue
3. a corrupt OS installation
4. an "unblessed" system

Boot off another system CD, Disk Utility should give you many more clues....

Back