Dog pissed into G5. What to do.

GLD

Registered
I just learned why a desktop computer should not be left on the floor. A male dog came to the office yesterday to visit and obviously was threatened by a MAC G5. He lifted his leg and shortly thereafter the computer shut-down. At the time, the user of the computer did not know what happened, and since it was at the end of the workday, she left the computer off for the night.

When she came in this am and tried to boot her MAC, it clicks when you push the on button, but that's it.

Is it dead forever or does it need to dry out?

Any suggestions ... other than no dogs?

Thanks,
GLD

Ack! Now that's somethin you don't hear everyday! Hmm....if it's still under warranty you might want to have Apple look at it. Consider deodorizing it before they come to service it though. :eek:

Drying out does do miracles to some electricals. Give about 3 days and cross ya fingers.

Do you or your friend witness any burn out smells or anything? I can't see Apple helping under the Warranty as they wouldn't help me with my keyboard after I got water on it.

So I hope it works in a few days for you though
and I won't mention about to do about the dog because you said not to suggest him

Inform the owner of the dog that you are holding him financially responsible for the damage.

g/re/p said:
Inform the owner of the dog that you are holding him financially responsible for the damage.

Honestly, I agree with g/re/p on this one. If they were the ones who brought a dog to the workplace, they should be held financially responsible for it.

i would pop the case open and see where it got hit. if it was the power supply, get a new one. if the mobo, you could get a can of electical parts cleaner and spray it down, then let it dry. this will remove any residue that the dog left, which could cause shorts.

I'm guessing the dog in question was a PC user...???

No seriously - while letting it dry out is a good idea - I would highly recommend (as others have done so above) opening up the G5, inspecting for damage, and cleaning the effected parts.

sinclair_tm said:
i would pop the case open and see where it got hit. if it was the power supply, get a new one. if the mobo, you could get a can of electical parts cleaner and spray it down, then let it dry. this will remove any residue that the dog left, which could cause shorts.

Agreed here, this is probably the best thing you can do. I split a can of Sunkist onto my PC and it ran down into the case and dripped on the motherboard. The PSU shut off the computer before any damage occured. I did what is suggested above and its worked fine since.

If it smells at all like smoke, skip straight to the end.

If not, unplug the computer immediately. Don't try to start it up at all until it is completely cleaned and dried.

Inspect the motherboard for little brown burn marks. If you see any, give up and skip to the last step.

If you're lucky, a clean and a very, very good dry (if your company has a drying closet that's even better) with a hair dryer if need be (not hot, just dry). Then give it a couple of days just to be sure.

If it still doesn't start up, you need to take it to your local Apple Authorised Repairer.

The Dog aimed low, so it only caught the lower front corner of the board. Most of his irrigation efforts "washed" the power supply, so after waiting a few days and cleaning the board per your suggestions, if it doesn't fire back up, I will replace the power supply.

What is the best way to clean the board?

Thanks,
George

i'd sujest "permatex electrical contact cleaner (item#24378)". but i have never used it on a computer. if you have some old computer that works, but don't mind lossing, i'd spray it down with this stuff and if it still works after it drys, use it on the mac.

Canine urine is 95% water, containing urea, uric acid, creatinine and other waste products. Uric acid is excreted in higher quantities in dogs than humans. Uric acid is corrosive. Needs expert cleaning.

Arrgh! It's obvious the dog is a peecee sycophant. :eek: Dog urine is highly corrosive to electronics.
Unplug the computer or, better, plug it into a power strip that is turned OFF. Pull the motherboard ASAP and make sure that there's no pee(cee) on it. If there is any, flush it very, very thoroughly with distilled water. Same for the power supply. Then use an industrial-electronics grade no-residue cleaner/moisture remover for a second extremely thorough flush. You can get the no-residue cleaner at any local electronics parts supply house. Tell the salesman what you're using it for.

The owner of the dog is definitely responible for the damage. He or she had no business bringing a cur that is not absolutely house-trained into any business office.

John

Back